Department of Computer Science and Technology

Information for staff

Claiming for expenses

This is information for staff who wish to seek reinbursement for travel or other expenses from a Laboratory account (e.g., for flights, conferences, accommodation). If this document does not answer your question then please speak to someone in the accounts office.

Research students should read Papers and conferences and complete the Checklist when applying for expenses.

Travel expenses claim form – this is an editable and saveable PDF of Parts I and II of the Laboratory's claim form.

Excel version of Part II of the travel expenses claim form - this is an editable Excel spreadsheet of Part II of the Laboratory's claim form.

Please note that the following reflects the University’s financial procedures.

Part I - complete this before you spend any money

Part I is to get authorization to spend Lab money. Authorization comes from the grant holder or, for CL funds, the Head of Department. Grant holders do not need to fill out Part I as they do not need to get authorization from themselves. If you are a research student or post-doc or anyone other than the grant holder, fill out and seek authorization for Part I of the form before spending any money or making any commitments and with plenty of notice. If Part I is not completed or signed then you have no guarantee of reimbursement.

The grant holder is the person who can authorise expenditure on a grant. For research grants, this is usually the Principal Investigator. For requests for use of Laboratory funds, this is the Head of Department or his deputy.

For Part I, the figures can be provisional.

Part II - complete this to claim back money

Part II is for claiming expenses.

You may use a fresh version of the PDF travel expenses claim form to do Part II or the Excel version of Part II. In either case please ensure that you attach your signed Part I to the completed Part II.

Expenses claims are subject to checking: by the grant holder and by the Head of Department's authorised deputy (both of whom check that the funds are a valid call on the grant) and by the accounts office (who check that the receipts match what has been claimed and who occasionally flag things that the grant holder may have missed). Claims may be audited by the University auditors and by the funding body's auditors. The internal checks are to ensure that anything that is claimed is a valid call on the appropriate funds. If you are in doubt, ask the grant holder.

Receipts: original receipts are required for everything. Ask for a receipt for anything that you may need to claim back. We realise that this is sometimes tricky but our auditors insist on receipts.

Receipt or credit card record: Be aware that our auditors draw a distinction between a receipt (which usually contains details of what was bought) and a credit card transaction record (which only tells you the amount debited to your card account) – it is the receipt that they will want to see.

Online transactions: Provide a printout of the receipt.

Restaurants: We know it can be difficult in a restaurant when there are people from several institutions present at a meal. In this case, ask for individual receipts or for copies of the receipt, but always try to obtain the original receipt. In extenuating circumstances, we will accept either a photocopy or photograph of the original receipt, but you must also supply the name and institution/company of the person who has the original receipt. In the cases of business entertainment, the names of those entertained, their institutions and the purpose of entertainment must be included with the claim. Where the ratio of employees to non-employees is higher than 5:1, claims should explain the reason why having such a high number of employees present was necessary. (This information may be required by HMRC auditors.)

Small amounts (under £5): To comply with the University Financial Regulations, we still require original receipts, even for expenses under £5, unless there were extenuating circumstances such as theft or fire. If it was possible to obtain a receipt and one has not been provided then the Accounts Department will request it and, if you cannot produce it, the item will be removed from your claim.

Train tickets: include train tickets and the receipt where possible. Where this is not possible e.g. the ticket has been taken by the exit barriers, please include a note to this effect.

Oyster Cards: You need to register for an Oyster Online account. This will allow you to get a statement of all journeys taken (up to eight weeks ago) and you should submit this statement with your claim, indicating which journeys are being claimed. This requirement is owing to HMRC's rules on Oyster Cards.

Extenuating circumstances: If there are cases where a receipt has not been obtained, talk to one of the Accounts Clerks who will be able to advise you.

Consumables: To comply with the University Financial Regulations, where possible, consumables should be purchased through the University's purchasing system (CUFS). If this has not been possible, please give the reasons on the claim form.

Car travel: travelling in your own car can be claimed at 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and a lower rate thereafter. This mileage rate covers any costs relating to the car, including petrol. It is your responsibility to ensure that your car is insured for business use. Motor cycles are claimed at a lower rate of 24p per mile; pedal cycles cannot be claimed.

Grant-specific rules: each research sponsor has different rules about what is and is not allowable. These rules are particularly notable for EU grants and for US government research grants (e.g., DARPA, IARPA, NSF). Ensure that your claim falls within the rules for your sponsor.

Completing Part II

Every single item that you put on your expenses form (that includes a 50p bus ticket!) will be entered individually into the University's financial system. This is a tedious job. Please make the Accounts Clerk's job as easy as possible by filling out the form neatly, leaving plenty of space between lines for annotations to be added in the Accounts Office, and following the advice below on what should go in each field. Using one of the electronic versions (editable PDF or Excel spreadsheet) helps ensure that the form is legible and has sufficient space for annotations.

Nature of Business (on Part I of the form, please fill this out even if you don't need to fill out anything else on Part I): Enter the conference name, the reason for the meeting/travel, the related research project, or some other descriptor that the Accounts Clerk can use when entering your expenses into the University's financial system. (For instance, referencing "dinner" on its own is not sufficient information.) This is required so that we can quickly see what a given expense was for.

Date is the date on the receipt. If it is a conference, please also include the date of the conference.

From and To are required for any claims for transportation. The EU auditors, in particular, insist on them. For return trips, From and To refer to the outward leg. You can also use From and To for the start and end dates of hotel stays.

Reason/Details should start with the company name on the receipt, so that the Accounts Clerk can easily identify which receipt relates to which entry (they have to check every single receipt), followed by the description of the incurring cost.

Cost: this column should contain the cost in British Pounds. If you are claiming for only part of a receipt then clearly indicate this in writing on the receipt, including writing the actual amount that you are claiming for.

Foreign currency: if your receipt is not in British Pounds, then please write the foreign currency amount in the Reason/Details column, along with the exchange rate that you use. Put the British Pounds equivalent in the Cost column. Use the exchange rate you were actually charged or, if that is not available, a reasonable exchange rate from an appropriate exchange rate website. The Excel version of the form has extra columns to help with the entry of foreign currency transactions. If you had additional charges for foreign currency transactions, please attach the relevant part of your bank statement.

Most claims require no more than one form. If you have more items than will fit on one form, please use a second form rather than try to squeeze everything onto a single form. The Accounts Office is quite happy to have two separate forms relating to a single trip.

After completing your part of the form

Once all expenses have been entered: Ask the grant holder to add the Research Grant Account Code or Cost Centre/Source of Funds and their signature. Then take it to the Head of Department's PA for the Head of Department's signature.

It can take several weeks for a claim to be processed.

The University pays expenses directly into members of staff's bank account and pays everyone else by cheque.

Please complete claims within two weeks of completing the trip or incurring the expense. This is particularly important at financial year end (31 July) because all items must be processed that have been incurred up to and including this date. If you incur expenses well in advance of the trip (e.g., booking air tickets) then make a claim for those expenses as soon as you have incurred them - do not wait - the Accounts Office is used to dealing with multiple expense forms relating to a single trip.