Information for new arrivals
General information about the Computer Laboratory
Here are again links to information that you may find useful as a new member of the Computer Laboratory:
- Local system information
- Introduction to the computing facilities
The information here does assume a bit of knowledge about the Windows and/or Unix operating systems.
- The RT Ticketing system
View this page to find out the most appropriate email address for the query that you have.
Please ensure your email contains as much information about the problem as possible, such as:
- a meaningful subject line
- the name of the machine with the problem
- telephone or network port details
- its operating system
- specific details about the problem (including a copy of the error message, where possible
If you have several requests, please create a new email for each one, so nothing gets missed.
Please DO NOT reply to an end-of-job reply, as this will only re-open the ticket.
Note: Please contact the Computing Service helpdesk for support if the issue concerns:
- Hermes for IMAP email
- PWF-teaching lab on the top floor of the Computer Lab
- Toilets and showers
- William Gates building and its offices
- Getting around the building
- Accessing the building
- Office facilities
Health, safety and emergencies
We recommend that you keep the following numbers to hand (in your mobile phone) in case of an emergency:
Building Services: 01223 763662 Reception: 01223 763500 And for out of office hours ONLY: The Cambridge University Security Services: 01223 331818
People to talk to
- People page
- Department Personnel
- Rôle Addresses
- Libraries and library guide
- Student Administration
Useful email and website addresses
Email addresses for:
- Postmaster – manages the email system
- System administrators – help with problems relating to computing systems
- Windows administrators for help with problems relating to Lab-managed Microsoft Windows computers
- Printing – report problems relating to printers
Useful website addresses:
- Computer Laboratory website
- Cambridge Philosophical Society
Useful for all students and staff, but particularly valuable for Graduate Students who may need to seek travel grants.
Sponsorship required for applications. Email Lise Gough for a list of current fellows to contact.
- Board of Graduate Studies
- University Information
- Graduate Union
- Unofficial Guide for PhD Students - PDF file
- Disability Resource Centre
Once you have settled into the Computer Laboratory, you maybe interested in facilities on campus and further afield. You may find the pages on local facilities of use.
If you are a member of staff, you may find the University staff discounts pages of interest.