Health & Safety
What to do in an emergency
- Operate the nearest fire alarm by raising the protective flap (if fitted) and breaking the glass of a Red Fire alarm point which are located at every normal and emergency exit from the building.
- Leave the building by the nearest safe exit
- Report to the Assembly Point (front of the building)
- Do not check the building for occupants. There are designated Fire wardens who will do this. However, where possible, please inform a firewarden about what you have seen and where it was located.
- Do not re-enter the building before the alarm has been cleared by the fire brigade or Building Services
If you see or have an accident, or feel unwell: summon a First Aider, either by following the instructions on the green first aid notices, or by contacting reception on 63500.
If nobody is contactable, call the emergency services on 1-999.
In either case give clear instructions as to where you are.
If ever help is needed: contact reception on 63500.
In an emergency, if nobody is available phone the university security on 31818.
The Room numbering page provides information on how rooms are numbered and floor plans to help you locate where you are. You may wish to print these out and have them pinned up in your office for use in an emergency.
In the event of an Emergency, the building is fitted with numerous fire sensors (thermal or ionization).
If one of these is triggered or someone uses one of the alarm buttons, you will hear throughout the building a repeated signal tone, followed by the announcement:
"There is a fire in the building. Evacuate immediately!".
Please leave the building by the nearest exit and go to assembly point F which is located at the front of the building.
In the case of a bomb alert, the warning system will tell people to leave the building.
Emergency telephone numbersOn the University telephone network:
Fire, Police, Ambulance: Dial 1 999University Security Control Centre:
Emergency calls: Dial: 101 Routine calls: Dial: 31818 Computer Laboratory reception: Dial: 63500 Department of Physics reception: Dial: 37200 Building Services: Dial: 63662It is also recommended that you keep with you (perhaps programmed into your mobile phone) the following numbers in case of an emergency:
Building Services: 01223 763662 Reception: 01223 763500 For out-of-hours use only: University Security Services: 01223 331818