Course pages 2014–15
Advanced Operating Systems
Course materials for L41: Advanced Operating Systems
L41: Advanced Operating Systems teaches OS internals, experimental methodology, and systems-research topics through a hands-on, lab-based course based on the FreeBSD operating system and BeagleBone Black embedded ARM board.
These course handouts provide more detailed information about the module and laboratory environment.
- L41 - Syllabus (PDF)
- L41 - Readings (PDF)
- L41 - DTrace Quick Start (PDF)
- L41 - Lab Reports (PDF)
- L41 - Lab Setup (PDF)
Lecture slides will go online shortly after each lecture.
- L41 - Lecture 1: Advanced Operating Systems: Tracing, Analysis, and Experimentation (PDF)
- L41 - Lecture 2: Kernels and Tracing (PDF)
- L41 - Lecture 3: The Process Model (1) (PDF)
- L41 - Lecture 4: The Process Model (2) (PDF)
- L41 - Lecture 5: The Network Stack (1) (PDF)
- L41 - Lecture 6: The Network Stack (2) (PDF)
These short lecturelets were (will be) delivered at the start of each lab session to help guide your lab work.
- L41 - Lecturelet 1: I/O
- L41 - Lecturelet 2: Kernel implications of IPC
- L41 - Lecturelet 3: Microarchitectural implications of IPC (PDF)
- L41 - Lecturelet 4: The TCP state machine (PDF)
- L41 - Lecturelet 5: TCP latency and bandwidth (PDF)
These handouts describe each lab, both optional exploratory questions and the experimental questions that must be addressed in your Lab Report.
- L41 - Lab 1: I/O (PDF)
- L41 - Lab 2: Kernel implications of IPC (PDF)
- L41 - Lab 3: Microarchitectural implications of IPC (PDF)
- L41 - Lab 4: The TCP state machine (PDF)
- L41 - Lab 5: TCP latency and bandwidth (PDF)
These tarballs contain source code associated with each lab. You can also retrieve these files directly via CL NFS.
- L41 - Lab 1 Tarball - lab1.tgz (TGZ)
- L41 - Lab 2 Tarball - lab2.tgz (TGZ)
- L41 - Lab 3 Tarball - lab3.tgz (TGZ)
- L41 - Labs 4 and 5 Tarball - lab4.tgz (TGZ)
Lab Report template
This Lab Report template must be used for all submissions. Please see the Lab Report handout on the Materials page for more details.
Lab Analysis Notes
These notes provide retrospective information on data collection and analysis for L41's lab assignments.