Topics in Security: Forensic Signal Analysis
Principal lecturer: Dr Markus Kuhn
Contributing lecturer: Mr Andrew Lewis
Taken by: MPhil ACS
This reading class takes place in room SW01 at 15:00–17:00 on the
eight Thursdays 2009 October 8 to November 26.
- October 8
Introduction and assignment of slots (Markus Kuhn)
JPEG tutorial (Markus Kuhn, Andrew Lewis)
- October 15
Colour-filter-array interpolation detectors (Lech Swirski)
- Popescu, Farid: Exposing digital forgeries in color filter array
interpolated images, IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing 53(10), 2005.
- Gallagher, Chen: Image authentication by detecting traces of
demosaicing, Proc. CVPR WVU Workshop, 2008.
- Kirchner, Böhme: Synthesis of color filter array patterns
in digital images, Proc. SPIE 7254, 2009.
- A. Gallagher. Detection of linear and cubic interpolation in JPEG compressed images. In Proc. CRV, 2005.
- October 22
Resampling detection in images (Markus Kuhn)
Recompression history identification (Andrew Lewis)
- October 29
Image-sensor identification (Neil Jenkins)
- Lukáš, Fridrich, Goljan: Digital camera identification from sensor pattern noise, IEEE Trans. on Information Forensics and Security 1(2), 2006.
- Chen, Fridrich, Goljan: Digital imaging sensor identification
(further study), SPIE 6505, 2007.
- Goljan, Fridrich, Filler: Large scale test of sensor fingerprint
camera identification, SPIE 7254, 2009.
Image characteristics (general discussion)
- November 5
Video display eavesdropping – RF (Roland Tai)
- November 12
Microcontroller power analysis (Omar-Salim Choudary)
- Kocher, Jaffe, Jun: Differential power analysis. CRYPTO ’99,
- Chari, Rao, Rohatgi: Template attacks. CHES 2002, LNCS 2523
- Brier, Clavier, Olivier: Correlation Power Analysis with a Leakage Model. CHES 2004, LNCS 3156
- Mangard, Oswald, Popp: Power analysis attacks – revealing the
secrets of smart cards. Springer, 2007 (CL library: K.6 72)
- November 19
Steganography (Alexandros Toumazis)
- Cox, Miller, Brown, Fridrich, Kalker: Digital Watermarking
and Steganography. 2007. (select a book chapter, CL library: K.6 74)
- Petitcolas, Anderson, Kuhn: Information hiding—a survey, Proc. IEEE 87(7), 1999.
- Westfeld, Pfitzmann: Attacks on Steganographic Systems . IHW 2000, LNCS 1768.
- November 26
Watermarking (Melinos Averkiou)
+ presentation and discussion of project proposals
Reviews listed by student