Timothy M. Jones
I'm a senior research fellow at the University of Cambridge in the Computer Laboratory. From 1 September 2013 I hold a Research Fellowship from EPSRC within the Computer Architecture Group which supports my research into energy-efficiency, reliability and performance from compilers and many-core architectures of the future. I'm also a college research associate at St John's and work closely with colleagues at ARM. I have an Erdős Number of 6.
My research is looking power, performance and reliability of microprocessors in the many-core era. I am looking at ways of using the compilers, JITs, dynamic binary translators and the microarchitecture itself to increase performance, save power and deal with the upcoming reliability challenges posed by future technology scaling. My current research areas include:
- Automatic parallelisation (see the HELIX project).
- Processor wearout and hard faults (see the DOME project.)
- Design of and compilation for specialised accelerators.
- Power saving in shared cache environments and compilation schemes for the instruction cache
I am interested in collaborations with other researchers on any of the above. If you would like to work with me then please send me an email. My current research group members are:
- Vasileios Porpodas (PostDoc)
- Konstantina Mitropoulou (PostDoc)
- Negar Miralaei (PhD Student)
- Kevin Zhou (PhD Student)
- Jyothish Soman (PhD Student)
- Niall Murphy (PhD Student, advised by Robert Mullins)
- Sam Ainsworth (PhD Student)
- Dennis Zhang (PostDoc)
I'm always looking for bright and enthusiastic people to join my group. If you are looking to do a PhD with me, I've prepared a page to give some information about the application.
I maintain a list of Part II, III & ACS projects for students in the Computer Lab at Cambridge.
- Distinguished Reviewer for HiPEAC 2016.
- Topic Program Committee Member for DATE 2016.
- Program Committee Member for SCOPES 2015.
- Registration Chair for MICRO 47.
- External Review Committee Member for HPCA 2015.
- Program Committee Member and Finance Chair for PACT 2013.
- Program Committee Member for CGO 2013.
I was also a Distinguished Reviewer for HiPEAC 2015, 2014, 2013 & 2012, and on the program committees for SCOPES 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 & 2010, DATE 2015, HiPC 2012, SBAC-PAD 2010 & 2009 and the MEDEA Workshop 2009, 2008 & 2007.
Before my current fellowship I held a Research Fellowship jointly from the UK's Royal Academy of Engineering and EPSRC. I spent 2010 at Harvard working with David Brooks and his research team. Prior to joining Cambridge, I was part of the Compiler and Architecture Design Group at the University of Edinburgh's School of Informatics.