Timothy M. Jones
I'm a lecturer at the University of Cambridge in the Computer Laboratory. From 1 September 2013 I hold a Research Fellowship from EPSRC within the Computer Architecture Group which supports my research into energy-efficiency, reliability and performance from compilers and many-core architectures of the future. I'm also a member of St John's college and work closely with colleagues at ARM. I have an Erdős Number of 6. I've recently taken my first tentative steps with a blog about my group's research.
My research is looking power, performance and reliability of microprocessors in the many-core era. I am looking at ways of using the compilers, JITs, dynamic binary translators and the microarchitecture itself to increase performance, save power and deal with the upcoming reliability challenges posed by future technology scaling. My current research areas include:
- Automatic parallelisation (see the HELIX project).
- Processor wearout and hard faults (see the DOME project.)
- Design of and compilation for specialised accelerators.
- Power saving in shared cache environments and compilation schemes for the instruction cache
I am interested in collaborations with other researchers on any of the above. If you would like to work with me then please send me an email. My current research group members are:
- Vasileios Porpodas (PostDoc)
- Konstantina Mitropoulou (PostDoc)
- Dennis Zhang (PostDoc)
- Negar Miralaei (PhD Student)
- Kevin Zhou (PhD Student)
- Jyothish Soman (PhD Student)
- Niall Murphy (PhD Student, advised by Robert Mullins)
- Sam Ainsworth (PhD Student)
- Tom Sun (PhD Student)
I'm always looking for bright and enthusiastic people to join my group. If you are looking to do a PhD with me, I've prepared a page to give some information about the application.
I maintain a list of Part II, III & ACS projects for students in the Computer Lab at Cambridge.
- Distinguished Reviewer for HiPEAC 2016.
- Topic Program Committee Member for DATE 2016.
- Program Committee Member for ADAPT 2016.
- Program Committee Member for SCOPES 2016.
- External Review Committee Member for HPCA 2016.
- External Review Committee Member for ISCA 2016.
I was also on the program committees for CGO 2013, PACT 2013, SCOPES 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 & 2010, DATE 2015, ADAPT 2015, 2014 & 2013, HiPC 2012, SBAC-PAD 2010 & 2009 and the MEDEA Workshop 2009, 2008 & 2007, on the external review committee for HPCA 2015, and a Distinguished Reviewer for HiPEAC 2015, 2014, 2013 & 2012. I was registration chair for MICRO 2014 and finance chair for PACT 2013.
Before my current fellowship I held a Research Fellowship jointly from the UK's Royal Academy of Engineering and EPSRC. I spent 2010 at Harvard working with David Brooks and his research team. Prior to joining Cambridge, I was part of the Compiler and Architecture Design Group at the University of Edinburgh's School of Informatics.