- I am a Senior Research Associate at the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge. I work with Professor Ross Anderson and Dr Richard Clayton on a project with Carnegie Mellon University on Understanding and disrupting the economics of cybercrime.
- I am a researcher in the Cambridge Cybercrime Centre, a multi-disciplinary initiative combining expertise from the University of Cambridge's Computer Laboratory, Institute of Criminology and Faculty of Law.
- I am a criminologist, specialising in cybercrime. My research interests include understanding cybercrime offenders, and the prevention, intervention and disruption of online crime.
- I established and maintain the Cambridge Computer Crime Database (CCCD), a database of computer crime events where the offender has been arrested, charged and/or prosecuted in the United Kingdom.
- My PhD was conferred in 2013. My thesis, entitled Theory and Crime: Does it Compute?, examined why computer crime offenders, namely those engaged in unauthorised access and computer fraud, begin offending, why they continue, and why they stop. The thesis used a framework of multiple theories of crime, which were integrated to create one theoretical model based on data from current and former offenders.
- In 2015, I was elected to serve on the University Council, the principal executive and policy making body of the University of Cambridge.
- I was elected as a committee member of the Postdocs of Cambridge Society (PdOC) in 2014.
- Please get in touch with me if you would like to discuss my research, university governance, or issues facing postdocs.
- I'd also like to hear from you if you have data for inclusion in the CCCD, or if you are an academic considering setting up a similar database in another country. Cybercrime is an international issue, and this should be reflected in the data. I'm happy to assist setting up the relevant data collection mechanisms, and to ensure similar variables are being captured for comparative purposes.
alice.hutchings [at] cl.cam.ac.uk
+44 1223 763660
15 JJ Thomson Avenue
Cambridge CB3 0FD