Sentient Transportation: improving the safety, efficiency, reliability and ease-of-use of transport by exploiting the principles of Sentient Computing.
My current research focus is on the co-ordination of applications which involve the collection, processing and dissemination of sensor data throughout a network of vehicles.
I was a creator of the Sentient Van and am involved with its continual use as a platform for Sentient Transportation research.
1. Jonathan J. Davies, "Programming networks of vehicles," PhD thesis, University of Cambridge, Computer Laboratory, Nov 2009
2. Jonathan J. Davies, Alastair R. Beresford, Alan Mycroft, "Language-Based Optimisation of Sensor-Driven Distributed Computing Applications," 11th International Conference on Fundamental Approaches to Software Engineering (FASE 2008), series LNCS, vol. 4961, pp. 407-422, Springer-Verlag, Mar 2008
3. Jonathan J. Davies, Alastair R. Beresford, "Scalable Inter-Vehicular Applications," On the Move to Meaningful Internet Systems 2007: OTM 2007 Workshops (Part II), series LNCS, vol. 4806, pp. 876-885, Springer-Verlag, Nov 2007
4. Jonathan J. Davies, "A few introductory topics in typography," Skills Presentation, Oct 2007
5. Jonathan J. Davies, Alastair R. Beresford, "Distributed, vehicular computation for map generation," 2007 Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, Apr 2007
6. David N. Cottingham, Jonathan J. Davies, "A Vision for Wireless Access on the Road Network," Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Intelligent Transportation (WIT 2007), pp. 25-30, Technische Universitšt Hamburg-Harburg, Mar 2007
7. Jonathan J. Davies, David N. Cottingham, Brian D. Jones, "A Sensor Platform for Sentient Transportation Research," EuroSSC 2006, series LNCS, no. 4272, pp. 226-229, Springer-Verlag, Oct 2006
8. Jonathan J. Davies, Alastair R. Beresford, Andy Hopper, "Scalable, Distributed, Real-Time Map Generation," IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 47-54, IEEE, Oct 2006
9. David N. Cottingham, Jonathan J. Davies, Brian D. Jones, "A Research Platform for Sentient Transport," IEEE Pervasive Computing Magazine (Work in Progress), vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 63-64, IEEE, Oct 2006
10. Alastair R. Beresford, Jonathan J. Davies, Robert K. Harle, "Privacy-Sensitive Congestion Charging," 14th International Workshop on Security Protocols, series LNCS, vol. (in press), Springer-Verlag, Mar 2006
11. David N. Cottingham, Jonathan J. Davies, Alastair R. Beresford, "Congestion-Aware Vehicular Traffic Routing Using WiFi Hotspots," Communications Innovation Institute Workshop, Apr 2005