Course pages 2012–13
Statistical Machine Translation
Stephen Clark's Lectures
- Jan 23 Lecture 1: Introduction to MT and SMT
- Jan 24 Lecture 2: Word Alignment Models
- Jan 30 Lecture 3: Beyond IBM Model 1 to Phrase-Based Models
- Feb 6 Lecture 4: Decoding with Phrase-Based Models
- Feb 7 Lecture 5: Introduction to Syntax-Based Models
Bill Byrne's Lectures
- Lecture 6: Evaluation of Machine Translation (with introduction to WFSTs)
- Lecture 7: Phrase-based Translation with WFSTs
- Lecture 8: Hierarchical Phrase-based Translation
- Lecture 9: Hierarchical Translation Grammars, Syntax-based Translation
- Lecture 10: Minimum Error Training, Rescoring and System Combination
Note that handout 3 is a revised version.
Questions from Practical Handouts 1, 2 and 3 must be answered in a single report, which must be handed in by 18th March at 4.00pm.
Practical 1: Automatic Machine Translation Evaluation.
Demonstrated Session: Monday 11th February 2013.
Practical 2: Weighted Finite-State Transducers.
Demonstrated Session: Monday 18th Feburary 2013.
Practical 3: Hierarchical Phrase-based Translation with alternative grammars
Demonstrated Sessions: Monday 4th March 2013, Monday 11th March 2013.