Course pages 2013–14
Schedule - Hardware
Unless otherwise noted, all deliverables are due at midnight.
Unless otherwise noted all milestones are just that, recommended checkpoints. The deliverables are noted in bold.
|Milestone||Time Alotted||Due Date||Milestone(s)|
|Implement four port hard-wired switch||2 weeks||Fri 17-Jan||Email summarizing your progress getting the tools set up: Simulation, Synthesis, and running tests on the hardware.|
|Wed 22-Jan||Operational input arbiter (submit archive of project directory)|
|Wed 29-Jan||1. Working four-port non-learning switch (bit file and archive of
2. First version of the Hardware Design document (architecture)
3. Test summary
|Implement IP router, software integration and testing of IP router||5 weeks||Wed 5-Feb||1. Implement basic packet counter registers
2. Add a written/drawn design of the Output Port Lookup module to your design document
|Wed 12-Feb||1. Verification section of the Hardware Design Document
2. Ability to forward packets to/from software
3. Verify and update TTL/IP checksum
|Wed 19-Feb||1. Verify the MAC address of all received packets
2. Lookup destination IP addresses in a lookup table. Forward matching packets to CPU instead of processing in normal forwarding path.
3. Interoperability testing section added to design document
4. HW+SW: Initial Proposal of Advanced Feature
|Wed 26-Feb||1. Implement remaining functionality, including routing and ARP
2. HW+SW: Final Proposal of Advanced Feature
|Wed 5-Mar||1. Email update on progress (1 for each team)
2. A tarball of your design (no dump files or packet_data directories please!).
|Advanced Feature Development and Router Interoperation||2 weeks effective (*)||Wed 12-Mar 2014||1. tar.gz (or repository pointer) of your complete IPv4 router code
base for both hardware and sofware
2. Email update on progress (1 for each team).
3. Updated design document (including advanced feature section).
|Sun 27-Apr-2014||1. tar.gz file of your working directory including src and verif.
(but no dump files, please!)
2. Updated Design Document with your added functionality.
|Presentations/Demonstrations||Thu 1-May-2014||Presentations and Demonstrations will be in FW11 on the 1st of May. A hot buffet is available from 6pm, presentations will start at 7pm.|
(*) MPhil ACS students are expected to commit the equivalent of one in-term week worth of work to this module over the Easter vacation. No less than 10 Hours between the 12th of March, 2014 and the deadline 1st of May, 2014.