Doing a PhD here is nothing like Philip Guo's famous
Ph.D. Grind, but you might find
Why Pursue A Ph.D? thought-provoking.
- The Computer Laboratory
awesome history and now has
- over 100 professional researchers (fellows, postdocs, RAs, SRAs etc.)
- 40 academic staff (lecturers, readers, professors)
- 129 PhD students
- Research groups overlap and have flexible boundaries
- What is a PhD?
- apprenticeship in research
- leads to a PhD thesis (max 60,000 words!)
- Supervision and research
- norm is weekly meetings with supervisor
(recommended but not mandated)
- you can (and people often do) change supervisors
- termly supervision reports available through
- work in Lab as much as possible
- seminars, summer schools, conferences
(Lab will usually match
College funding up to £1000/year as long as there is
- develop transferable skills, e.g. by participating in:
- Graduate Students' Forum
- Happy Hour Team
- Staff Student Consultative Forum
- Important milestones
- schedule of Induction Sessions
- happy hour: cheap drinks in FC24 - the 'fishbowl'
(sometimes free, e.g. today ☺)
- undergraduate supervisions: talk to Megan (first OK with your PhD supervisor)
- problems: talk to Lise, supervisors, college tutors, or see
- Resources for PhD students and their supervisors
- Each year the HoD will receive a list of the PhD students who are recognised as good citizens!
This page last updated on Oct 9 2014.