Submitting your dissertation
Instructions and guidelines for submitting your Ph.D. dissertation
- Writing up
- Dissertation typography
- Appointment of Examiners
Your supervisor will need to arrange for the appointment of examiners about two months before you submit. Please let your supervisor know your expected date of submission and the title of your thesis. There is a form which your supervisor should use. Examiners are appointed by the Degree Committee upon the recommendation of the supervisor.
- Submitting your dissertation to the Board of Graduate Studies
- Viva voce examinations by video conference and adjustments If you require any special arrangements for the viva voce examination, the Degree Committee will need to know well in advance.
- After submitting your two soft-bound dissertation copies to the Board, you should also upload an electronic version in PDF. The upload page optionally also allows you to deposit a source-code package that you can leave with the department, for example to archive any software that you wrote in association with your thesis, and an editable source version of the thesis document. These will be deposited on the departmental filer at /anfs/www-uploads/phd = \\filer\www-uploads\phd.
- The Internal Examiner will arrange the date and time of your examination, a 'viva'.
- After you have defended your thesis in the viva, the Examiners' recommendations go to the next meeting of the Degree Committee for approval subject to any corrections recommended by the Examiners.
- Degree Committee papers and the Examiners' reports then go to the next available meeting of the Board of Graduate Studies for consideration and approval.
- Once all corrections have been made and approved by the Examiners, and notification has been sent to the Board, the hard-bound University Library copy of your dissertation, summary and declaration form, may be submitted to the Board of Graduate Studies, 4 Mill Lane, Cambridge, CB2 1RZ. See the submission information and Graduate Union's binding services information.
- You should also replace your uploaded electronic version of the dissertation with the corrected version.
- Once the conditions of Board of Graduate Studies approval of the Ph.D. Degree have been met, including submission of the hard-bound dissertation, you will receive a letter informing you that you may arrange with your College Praelector to graduate at the next appropriate Congregation. You will remain on the Register of Graduate Students until you receive your degree certificate at the Congregation.
- The Computer Laboratory will expect you to submit your dissertation as a Technical Report. Once you have done this, the electronic version of your dissertation is removed from the files.
If you have any questions not covered above, please consult the Secretary of the Degree Committee.
Secretary of the Degree Committee, September 2015