Course pages 2011–12
Here are machine readable versions of the slides (if you print them, you will need to print 2, 4, etc., pages per sheet to avoid a considerable waste of paper):
- Lecture 1: Large systems and the "Software Crisis"
- Lecture 2: How to organise software development
- Lecture 3: Failures and critical software
- Lecture 4: Human factors
- Lecture 5: People and tools
- Lecture 6: Guest lecture on current industrial practice (Tue 1 November)
The lecture on the 1st November will be a guest lecture by Robert Brady of Brady plc. NB: this schedule differs from the originally announced date of Tue 25 October ... instead Dr Markus Kuhn will be starting his Unix Tools course one "slot" earlier, and only lecturing once in the second week.
Some other relevant links:
- The London Ambulance Service disaster.
- A 2010 New York Times story on more recent deaths caused by poor radiology systems and software.
- Nancy Levenson's new book Engineering a safer world.
- Dr Brady recommends Pascal Zachary's Show-stopper.
- Richard Gabriel's Objects have failed.
Last year's course materials are still available.