Course pages 2011–12
Schedule - Hardware
Unless otherwise noted, all deliverables are due at midnight.
|Milestone||Time Alotted||Due Date||Deliverable(s)|
|Implement four port hard-wired switch||2 weeks||Mon 23-Jan||Email summarizing your progress getting the tools set up: Simulation, Synthesis, and running tests on the hardware.|
|Wed 25-Jan||Operational input arbiter (submit archive of project directory)|
|Wed 1-Feb||1. Working four-port non-learning switch (bit file and archive of
2. First version of the Hardware Design document (architecture)
3. Test summary
|Implement IP router, software integration and testing of IP router||5 weeks||Wed 8-Feb||1. Implement basic packet counter registers
2. Add a written/drawn design of the Output Port Lookup module to your design document
|Wed 15-Feb||1. Verification section of the Hardware Design Document
2. Ability to forward packets to/from software
3. Verify and update TTL/IP checksum
|Wed 22-Feb||1. Verify the MAC address of all received packets
2. Lookup destination IP addresses in a lookup table. Forward matching packets to CPU instead of processing in normal forwarding path.
3. Interoperability testing section added to design document
4. HW+SW: Initial Proposal of Advanced Feature
|Wed 29-Feb||1. Implement remaining functionality, including routing and ARP
2. HW+SW: Final Proposal of Advanced Feature
|Wed 7-Mar||1. Email update on progress (1 for each team)
2. A tarball of your design (no dump files or packet_data directories please!).
|Advanced Feature Development and Router Interoperation||2 weeks effective (*)||Wed 14-Mar||1. Email update on progress (1 for each team).
2. Updated hardware design document (including advanced feature section).
|Sun 22-Apr-2010||1. tar.gz file of your working directory including src and verif.
(but no dump files, please!)
2. Updated Hardware Design Document with your added functionality.
|Presentations/Demonstrations||Wed 25-Apr-2010||Presentations and Demonstrations will be in FW11 on the 25th of April. A hot buffet is available from 6pm, presentations will start at 7pm.|
(*) You are expected to commit the equivalent of one in-term week worth of work to this module over the Easter vacation. No less than 10 Hours between the 15th of March, 2012 and the deadline 22nd of April, 2012.