Building an Internet Router
Schedule - Hardware
All deliverables are due no later than 23:59.
|Milestone||Time Alotted||Due Date||Deliverable(s)|
|Implement four port hard-wired switch||2 weeks||Thu 14-Oct||Checkpoint deliverable. Email summarizing your progress getting the tools set up: Simulation, Synthesis, and running tests on the hardware.|
|Mon 18-Oct||Operational input arbiter (submit archive of project directory)|
|Thu 21-Oct||1. Working four-port non-learning switch (bit file and archive of
2. First version of the Hardware Design document (architecture)
3. Test summary
|Implement IP router, software integration and testing of IP router||5 weeks||Thu 28-Oct||1. Implement basic packet counter registers
2. Add a written/drawn design of the Output Port Lookup module to your design document
|Thu 04-Nov||1. Verification section of the Hardware Design Document
2. Ability to forward packets to/from software
3. Verify and update TTL/IP checksum
4. HW+SW: Initial Proposal of Advanced Feature
|Thu 11-Nov||1. Verify the MAC address of all received packets
2. Lookup destination IP addresses in a lookup table. Forward matching packets to CPU instead of processing in normal forwarding path.
3. Interoperability testing section added to design document
4. HW+SW: Final Proposal of Advanced Feature
|Thu 18-Nov||1. Implement remaining functionality, including routing and ARP tables|
|Thu 25-Nov||1. Email update on progress (1 for each team)
2. A tarball of your design (no dump files or packet_data directories please!).
|Advanced Feature Development and Router Interoperation||2 weeks effective (*)||Thu 02-Dec||1. Email update on progress (1 for each team).
2. Updated hardware design document (including advanced feature section).
|Sun 16-Jan-2011||1. tar.gz file of your working directory including src and verif.
(but no dump files, please!)
2. Updated Hardware Design Document with your added functionality.
(*) You are expected to commit the equivalent of one in-term week worth of work to this module over the Christmas/New-Year vacation. No less than 20 Hours between the 2nd of December, 2009 and the deadline 16th of January, 2011.