I am an Assistant Professor (Lecturer) in the Department of Informatics at King's College London. My research focuses on machine learning and deep learning for natural language processing, including real-world applications in education, healthcare, creativity, social media and finance, such as grammatical error correction, automated assessment, personalised education, machine translation, textual information extraction, text classification, emotion detection, and sentiment analysis.
Previously, I was a Research Associate at the Department of Computer Science and Technology of the University of Cambridge. I hold a PhD in Natural Language Processing and an MPhil in Advanced Computer Science from the University of Cambridge, and a BSc(Eng) in Telecommunications Engineering with Management from Queen Mary University of London.
I am accepting PhD applications in the areas of NLP/ML, so feel free to get in touch.
- Educational NLP
- Language acquisition
- Multilingual NLP
- Machine translation
- Neural networks and deep learning
- Transfer and multi-task learning
- Unsupervised and semi-supervised learning
- Explainable machine learning
I occasionally offer consultancy services to companies, in the areas of natural language processing and machine learning. If you are interested, feel free to get in touch.
- Member of the ACL Professional Conduct Committee (2021-)
- Treasurer of the ACL Special Interest Group on Building Educational Applications (SIGEDU) (2021-)
- Member of Association for Computational Linguistics
- Member of Cambridge Language Sciences
- Area Chair for EMNLP 2022
- Co-organiser for the 17th Workshop on Innovative Use of NLP for Building Educational Applications, co-located with NAACL 2022
- Co-organiser of the 2022 GirlsWhoML Cambridge Introduction to Machine Learning Workshop
- Co-organiser of the 2022 Oxbridge Women in Computer Science Conference
- Conference Co-chair of women@CL (2021-)
- Cambridge Co-chair of GirlsWhoML (2021-)
- Reviewer for Computational Linguistics; IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing; International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education; Computer Speech & Language; Computational Intelligence; Computer Science Review; Psychometrics and Educational Measurement; Educational and Psychological Measurement; and Stats journals
- Programme Committee member (annually) for ACL, NAACL, EACL, EMNLP, COLING, CoNLL, AIED, *SEM, and other conferences, as well as a number of workshops