I am an Assistant Professor (Lecturer) in the Department of Informatics at King's College London. My research focuses on machine learning and deep learning for natural language processing, including real-world applications in education, healthcare, creativity, social media and finance, such as grammatical error correction, automated assessment, personalised education, code-switching, machine translation, textual information extraction, text classification, emotion detection, and sentiment analysis.
Previously, I was a Research Associate at the Department of Computer Science and Technology of the University of Cambridge. I hold a PhD in Natural Language Processing and an MPhil in Advanced Computer Science from the University of Cambridge, and a BSc(Eng) in Telecommunications Engineering with Management from Queen Mary University of London.
I am accepting PhD applications in the areas of NLP/ML, so feel free to get in touch.
- Educational NLP
- Language acquisition
- Multilingual NLP
- Machine translation
- Neural networks and deep learning
- Transfer and multi-task learning
- Unsupervised and semi-supervised learning
- Explainable machine learning
I occasionally offer consultancy services to companies, in the areas of natural language processing and machine learning. If you are interested, feel free to get in touch.
- Member of the ACL Professional Conduct Committee (2021-)
- Treasurer of the ACL Special Interest Group on Building Educational Applications (SIGEDU) (2021-)
- Member of Association for Computational Linguistics
- Member of Cambridge Language Sciences
- Area Chair for EMNLP 2022
- Co-organiser for the 17th Workshop on Innovative Use of NLP for Building Educational Applications, co-located with NAACL 2022
- Co-organiser of the 2022 GirlsWhoML Cambridge Introduction to Machine Learning Workshop
- Co-organiser of the 2022 Oxbridge Women in Computer Science Conference
- Conference Co-chair of women@CL (2021-)
- Cambridge Co-chair of GirlsWhoML (2021-)
- Reviewer for Computational Linguistics; IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing; International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education; Computer Speech & Language; Computational Intelligence; Computer Science Review; Psychometrics and Educational Measurement; Educational and Psychological Measurement; and Stats journals
- Programme Committee member (annually) for ACL, NAACL, EACL, EMNLP, COLING, CoNLL, AIED, *SEM, and other conferences, as well as a number of workshops