Jean Bacon: Research projects
My research interests are in the broad area of distributed systems.
Ken Moody and I led the Opera research group from its creation in the 1990s.
Some of our funded projects are listed below; more information is available from
Some projects since retirement
I have continued to work with the (see below) MCCRC (Microsoft Cloud Computing Research Centre).
Each year, an area is chosen and research on technology, law and their relationship is carried out, leading to a symposium.
In 2017 the paper
Blockchain demystified was found to be a useful introduction (over 2000 downloads from SSRN).
* Quantum computing
2019's project was to find out about
My contribution was a technical introduction with minimal mathematics and circuits.
Research projects before retirement
* MCCRC (Microsoft Cloud Computing Research Centre)
with the Department of Commercial Law, QMUL, part of their
Cloud Legal Project.
Extending the EPSRC CloudSafetyNet grant to consider how to enforce and demonstrate compliance with (data protection) law and regulation.
* CloudSafetyNet: End-to-end application security in the cloud. EPSRC, January 2013 - June 2016, with Imperial College and ECRIC (Eastern Cancer Registry and Information Service), now the English Cancer Registry, part of Public Health England.
is a keynote, "Information Flow Control for Cloud and Internet of Things"
I gave at the ICC workshop on Cloud Computing Systems, Networks, and Applications, June 12th 2015.
It explains the motivation for the use of Information Flow Control (IFC) in cloud computing and cloud-supported Internet of Things (IoT) and animates the basic IFC manipulations, including
declassification and endorsement, for a home monitoring example.
* PAL www.palproject.org.uk , PAL Personal and Social Communication Services for Health and Lifestyle Monitoring, EPSRC/TSB, July 2009 - December 2012, with Essex University, HW Communications, MAC Ltd and Thales Research.
* Smart Flow , October 2008 - April 2012, with Imperial College and ECRIC.
* TIME-EACM , October 2005 - March 2011, with CUED and Oxford, and BT as project partner.
* CareGrid, October 2005 - January 2009, with Imperial College. Related publications: CareGridPubs.pdf
* EDSAC21, EPSRC, January 2005 - September 2008. Related publications: EDSACpubs.pdf
* Contract-Driven Application Development and Control, EPSRC, October 2004 - September 2007.
* ECCO, EPSRC, October 2003 - September 2006.
* SECURE (Secure environments for collaboration among ubiquitous, roaming entities), EU Framework 5, Global Computing, January 2002 - June 2005, with TCD, BRICS Aarhus, Geneva and Strathclyde.
* Oasis RBAC (role-based access control) and Access Control Policy Management
* Global Computing using Events
* Active Systems
* IMP Interactive multimedia presentation support system
* Multi-Service Storage Architecture (MSSA)
Graduate students lists PhD students I have supervised while in Cambridge.
Publications may be found with
Opera publications .
A more complete list to 2013, from before I retired is here.