- Office address
- University of Cambridge
- Computer Laboratory
- William Gates Building
- 15 JJ Thomson Avenue
- Cambridge CB3 0FD
- United Kingdom
- office: +44 1223 763831
- rafal [dot] mantiuk [at] cl [dot] cam [dot] ac [dot] uk
Important: if you have never sent or received e-mail from me, please include the text "n0t5pam" somewhere in the subject line, for example "[n0t5pam] Your subject". This is to avoid the SPAM filter.
If you are contacting me about internship, PhD studentship, or a PostDoc position, please check the "Jobs" section first.
Applied visual perception; high dynamic range imaging; display algorithms; tone-mapping; video coding for new display technologies; image and video quality metric; visibility metrics; virtual reality and low-level perception; computational photography; computational displays; novel display technologies; colour; perception in computergraphics; novel image and video representations (beyond 2D); psychophysics; modeling visual perception with machine learning.
- Senior Lecturer, University of Cambridge, Computer Laboratory, UK (from 2015)
- Lecturer / Senior Lecturer, Bangor University, School of Computer Science, UK (2009-2015)
- Postdoc Fellow, University of British Columbia, Canada (2008-2009)
- Postdoc, Max-Planck-Institut for Computer Science, Germany (2007-2008)
- Internship, Sharp Laboratories of America, Camas WA, USA (2006)
- PhD (summa cum laude, Computer Science), Max-Planck-Institut for Computer Science, Germany (2006)
- Msc (Computer Science), Technical University of Szczecin, Poland (2003)
We investigate whether 2D quality metrics can predict the distortions that can be found in light field applications.
The report contains a review of recent video tone mapping operators, oulining the most important trends and characteristics of the proposed methods.
The Luma HDRv is a video codec based on VP9, which uses a perceptually motivated method to encode high dynamic range (HDR) video. Source code avauilable.
See more projects.
- Towards a quality metric for dense light fields
Vamsi K. Adhikarla, Marek Vinkler, Denis Sumin, Rafal K. Mantiuk, Karol Myszkowski, Hans-Peter Seidel, Piotr Didyk.
In: Proc. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), To appear, 2017
(project page) (PDF)
- A comparative review of tone-mapping algorithms
for high dynamic range video
Gabriel Eilertsen, Rafal K. Mantiuk, Jonas Unger.
In: Computer Graphics Forum, 36(2), pp. 565-592, 2017
- Assessment of multi-exposure HDR image deghosting methods
Kanita Karađuzović-Hadžiabdić, Jasminka Hasić Telalovića, Rafał K. Mantiuk.
In: Computers & Graphics, 63, pp. 1-17, 2017
(doi) (dataset) (PDF)
- Effect of color space on high dynamic range video compression performance
Emin Zerman, Vedad Hulusic, Giuseppe Valenzise, Rafał Mantiuk and Frederic Dufaux.
In: Proc. of International Conference on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX), To appear, 2017
- Analysis of Reported Error in Monte Carlo Rendered Images
Joss Whittle, Mark W. Jones and Rafal Mantiuk.
In: The Visual Computer, 33(6), pp. 705-713, 2017
See all papers.
Awards and grants
- ERC Consolidator Grant (2017) - Perceptual encoding of high fidelity light fields
- EPSRC research grant (2017) - A spatio-chromatic colour appearance model for retargeting high-dynamic-range image appearance across viewing conditions
- HPC Wales Research and Innovation grant (2013/14) - Video retargeting for delivery to mobile and future display technologies
- Royal Society Research Grant (2013) - Limiting factors of perceptual image fidelity
- EPSRC grant EP/I006575/1 (2011) - Quantifying image quality in computer graphics
- Heinz Billing Award 2006