Science and Media
I believe that it is important for scientists to talk to members of the public about the science that we do. The media offers one sort of forum to reach out to the general public, and it provides the opportunity to talk about computer science and try to improve its image, dispel some of the myths about computer science and ultimately bring our work closer to the public. I have participated in media events like appearances on the national radio and television stations, I have written science articles for lay audience magazines and newspapers, and I have given talks about my work at events for the general public or non-specialist audiences.
Here are some such events that I have been involved in:
ComputerWeekly.com interview article on automated healthcare advice
111 shows how medical diagnosis can be computerised". March,
BBC Radio interview with the Naked Scientist
of Love" and the technology behind matchmaking. 14 February,
CAM Magazine, 73:3.
Cambridge University Press.
Organiser and speaker for 2-minute
madness event on Women in Computing at the Museum of Computing
History, Cambridge, November 2014.
Ona (a magazine of the main
Slovenian broadsheet Delo). An extensive interview about my
si pocloveciti stroje. 18 November 2008.
- Slovenian National TV Station (RTV SLO1), weekly documentary programme "Tednik" debating current world and national affairs. Personal interview with Slavko Bobovnik about my work, research, family, work/life balance, etc. 13 February, 2008.
of the Year in Slovenia (Slovenka Leta 2007). Out of 14
candidates, I was the only scientist, and was nominated for
scientific excellence, for bringing science closer to the public,
and for being a female role model in achievements and balancing work
- A report on the 24ur program (in Slovene) containing photos and videos.
- My outfit was designed by one of the best Slovenian designers Stanka Blatnik.
- Organized by Revija Jana. In the end, a very worthy pediatrician, Lilijana Kornhauser Cerar, won the award.
- Horizon Seminar "The Thinking Machine", University of Cambridge, UK. Invited speaker. Title: Can Machines Reason?. 18 March 2008.
- Jamnik, M. (2008). Can machines reason? Research Horizons, 5:3 Cambridge University Press.
- Jamnik, M. Jamnik, M. (2007). Kako sklepajo stroji? (How can machines reason?). EMZIN - Revija za kulturo, Letnik 17(3-4):88--89.
- Delo (Slovenian main broadsheet), Sobotna Priloga (Saturday Edition). Extensive Interview about my research in Artificial Intelligence. Racunalniski sistemi mislijo, a ne bodo postali cloveski mozgani. 11 October 2007.
- Slovenian National TV Station (RTV SLO1), 10 O'clock News (Odmevi). Studio Interview about National Higher Education Policies. 4 October 2007. (see the clip from about 3 min 10 sec in for about 6 mins)
- Jamnik, M. (2007). Lahko stroji sklepajo kot ljudje v matematiki? (Can machines reason like humans in mathematics?). Konferenca slovenskih znanstvenikov in gospodarstvenikov iz sveta in Slovenije, 5:64--67. Slovenian World Congress.
- Slovenian National Radio Station (Val 202). Sunday Guest Portrait Interview about my research in Artificial Intelligence. 29 July 2007.
- Slovenian National Radio Station (Val 202). Phone Interview on Slovenian National Day about the state of Slovenian Academia. 25 June 2007.
- Jamnik, M. (2005). Computer scientist and a woman? Computing. 9 June 2005.
- Jamnik, M. (2005). Computer scientist and a woman? Newsletter, page 14. Cambridge University Press, June/July 2005.