I am a senior research associate at the Computer Laboratory of the University of Cambridge, working with Ted Briscoe on Automated Language Teaching and Assessment (ALTA). You can find a public beta of our work here. I am also a teaching fellow at Girton college (currently teaching Unix, OOP, IR, AI), and a committee member and seminar coordinator of Women@CL. Previously, I was a postdoctoral researcher at Cambridge English Language Assessment.
I hold a PhD in Natural Language and Information Processing from the University of Cambridge, during which I also worked on the English Profile Programme (EPP) in collaboration with Cambridge Assessment; an MPhil in Computer Speech, Text and Internet Technology; and a BSc in Computer Science. My research interests lie at the intersection of Computational Linguistics, Machine Learning and Visualisation, and particularly revolve around the areas of automated language teaching and assessment, self-assessment and tutoring systems, error detection and correction, native language identification, and second language acquisition.
Email: helen.yannakoudakis ät cl.cam.ac.uk
Selected peer-reviewed publications
- Helen Yannakoudakis and Ronan Cummins. 2015. Evaluating the performance of Automated Text Scoring systems. To appear.
- Mariano Felice, Zheng Yuan, Øistein E. Andersen, Helen Yannakoudakis and Ekaterina Kochmar. 2014. Grammatical error correction using hybrid systems and type filtering. In Proceedings of the Seventeenth Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning (CoNLL 2014): Shared Task.
- John Yannakoudakis, Irene Yannakoudakis, Helen Yannakoudakis, and George Papadourakis. 2014. Using an Expert System to Automatically Map the Learning Profile of Individuals. In Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Mobile, Hybrid, and On-line Learning, eLmL (acceptance rate: 28%).
- Helen Yannakoudakis. 2013. Automated Assessment of English-learner Writing. University of Cambridge, Computer Laboratory, TR-842.
- Øistein E. Andersen, Helen Yannakoudakis, Fiona Barker and Tim Parish. 2013. Developing and Testing a Self-Assessment and Tutoring System. In Proceedings of the NAACL 2013 workshop on Innovative Use of Natural Language Processing for Building Educational Applications.
- Helen Yannakoudakis, Gad Lim, Øistein E. Andersen, Ted Briscoe and Fiona Barker. 2013. Automatic Writing Assessment and Feedback: An Approach to Improve Construct and Consequential Validity. In Proceedings of the Language Testing Research Colloquium.
- Theodora Alexopoulou, Helen Yannakoudakis and Angeliki Salamoura. 2013. Classifying Intermediate Learner English: A Data-driven Approach to Learner Corpora. In S. Granger, G. Gilquin & F. Meunier (eds) Twenty Years of Learner Corpus Research: Looking back, Moving ahead. Corpora and Language in Use – Proceedings 1, Louvain-la-Neuve: Presses universitaires de Louvain.
- Helen Yannakoudakis, Ted Briscoe and Theodora Alexopoulou. 2013. Automated Assessment models, Visual User Interfaces, and Second Language Acquisition research: an interdisciplinary perspective. In Language Sciences in the 21st Century: The interdisciplinary challenge.
- Helen Yannakoudakis, Ted Briscoe and Theodora Alexopoulou. 2012. Automating Second Language Acquisition Research: Integrating Information Visualisation and Machine Learning. In Proceedings of the EACL 2012 joint workshop of LINGVIS & UNCLH.
- Helen Yannakoudakis and Ted Briscoe. 2012. Modeling Coherence in ESOL Learner Texts. In Proceedings of the NAACL 2012 workshop on Innovative Use of Natural Language Processing for Building Educational Applications.
- Helen Yannakoudakis, Ted Briscoe and Ben Medlock. 2011. A New Dataset and Method for Automatically Grading ESOL Texts. In Proceedings of the 49th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (acceptance rate: 26%).
- Theodora Alexopoulou, Helen Yannakoudakis and Ted Briscoe. 2010. From Discriminative Features to Learner Grammars: A Data-driven Approach to Learner Corpora. In Proceedings of the Second Language Research Forum.
- Theodora Alexopoulou, Helen Yannakoudakis and Ted Briscoe. 2010. L1 Effects and Personalised Learning in Globalised Learning Settings. In Proceedings of the workshop on Applied Generative Second Language Acquisition.