- Rafał Mantiuk
- Senior Lecturer
- Department of Computer Science and Technology
- The Computer Laboratory
- Rainbow Research Group
- University of Cambridge
- Office address
- University of Cambridge
- Computer Laboratory
- William Gates Building
- 15 JJ Thomson Avenue
- Cambridge CB3 0FD
- United Kingdom
- office: +44 1223 763831
- rafal [dot] mantiuk [at] cl [dot] cam [dot] ac [dot] uk
Important: if you have never sent or received e-mail from me, please include the text "n0t5pam" somewhere in the subject line, for example "[n0t5pam] Your subject". This is to avoid the SPAM filter.
If you are contacting me about internship, PhD studentship, or a PostDoc position, please check the "Jobs" section first.
Applied visual perception; high dynamic range imaging; display algorithms; tone-mapping; video coding for new display technologies; image and video quality metric; visibility metrics; virtual reality and low-level perception; computational photography; computational displays; novel display technologies; colour; perception in computer graphics; novel image and video representations (beyond 2D); psychophysics; modeling visual perception with machine learning.
- Senior Lecturer, University of Cambridge, Computer Laboratory, UK (from 2015)
- Lecturer / Senior Lecturer, Bangor University, School of Computer Science, UK (2009-2015)
- Postdoc Fellow, University of British Columbia, Canada (2008-2009)
- Postdoc, Max-Planck-Institut for Computer Science, Germany (2007-2008)
- Internship, Sharp Laboratories of America, Camas WA, USA (2006)
- PhD (summa cum laude, Computer Science), Max-Planck-Institut for Computer Science, Germany (2006)
- Msc (Computer Science), Technical University of Szczecin, Poland (2003)
Saturated pixels are reconstructed from a single low-dynamic range exposure with the help of a deep convolutional neural network.
We investigate whether 2D quality metrics can predict the distortions that can be found in light field applications.
The report contains a review of recent video tone mapping operators, oulining the most important trends and characteristics of the proposed methods.
See more projects.
- Age-dependent predictor of visibility in complex scenes
Rafał K. Mantiuk and Giovanni Ramponi.
In: Journal of the Society for Information Display, 2018
- The Relation Between MOS and Pairwise Comparisons and the Importance of Cross-Content Comparisons
Zerman, Emin, Vedad Hulusic, Giuseppe Valenzise, Rafał K. Mantiuk and Frederic Dufaux.
In: Human Vision and Electronic Imaging, 2018
- A practical guide and software for analysing pairwise comparison experiments
Maria Perez-Ortiz and Rafal K. Mantiuk.
In: arXiv pre-print, 2017
- Langevin Dynamics with Continuous Tempering for Training Deep Neural Networks
Nanyang Ye, Zhanxing Zhu, Rafał K. Mantiuk.
In: Proc. of Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), 2017
- High Dynamic Range Imaging Technology [Lecture Notes]
Alessandro Artusi, Thomas Richter, Touradj Ebrahimi, Rafał K. Mantiuk.
In: IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 34(5), pp. 165-172, 2017
See all papers.
Awards and grants
- ERC Consolidator Grant (2017) - Perceptual encoding of high fidelity light fields
- MSCA Innovative Training Network (2018) - RealVision: Hyper-realistic Visual Experience
- EPSRC research grant (2017) - A spatio-chromatic colour appearance model for retargeting high-dynamic-range image appearance across viewing conditions
- HPC Wales Research and Innovation grant (2013/14) - Video retargeting for delivery to mobile and future display technologies
- Royal Society Research Grant (2013) - Limiting factors of perceptual image fidelity
- EPSRC grant EP/I006575/1 (2011) - Quantifying image quality in computer graphics
- Heinz Billing Award 2006
My contribution to the organization of research networks and conferences can be found here.