|| Jat Singh
Senior Research Associate
St John's College (PDR)
Phone: +44 1223 7-63690
My research concerns policy in distributed systems.
My focus is on issues of security and privacy, and enabling context-aware, dynamically reconfigurable infrastructure.
This generally concerns middleware.
I am currently on a project in collaboration with Imperial College entitled Cloud SafetyNet investigating the enforcement of information flow controls within and between cloud providers.
I am very interested technology-related policy: considering the social, economic and legal impacts of new technologies. Currently, I am working with the E-infrastructure Leadership Council with the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills on the UK's e-Infrastructure strategy.
My previous project aimed involved developing a general pervasive computing infrastructure that enables granular control over data flows/interactions - the target was to support future health services (PAL). In another project, I explored data governance concerns in information-centric routing paradigms (publish/subscribe), for supporting national-level health services (NHS).
Much of my commercial (IT) experience revolves around health and judicial systems---application
domains where information is sensitive. I have worked for large and small IT service companies, and ran a medical IT startup. I also have some background in law. My CV is available on request.
I am originally from Australia. My hobbies are travel, travel and travel. I try to speak Español, a veces.
- Security: access controls, information flow control, certificates/PKI
- Policy: management, distribution, specification, conflict, compliance/audit
- Event-based systems: context awareness, event composition
- Adaptive / Reconfigurable systems: driven by context/policy
- Communication paradigms: Publish/Subscribe, messaging systems, data stream management
- Pervasive / ubiquitious computing
- Issues of privacy, trust, responsibility and accountability