|| Jat Singh
Senior Research Associate
Centre for Science and Policy
St John's College (PDR)
Phone: +44 1223 7-63690
My research concerns the management and control of distributed systems. That is, how policy, representing user and/or functional concerns can dictate how and when `things' happen.
As such, I focus a lot on issues of privacy, security, in addition to more generally enabling new and innovative functionality and solutions. This typically within the context of cloud computing and/or pervasive computing (the internet of things).
At a technical level, I work on enabling context-aware, dynamically reconfigurable infrastructure (middleware).
Much of my research and commercial experience revolves around health and judicial systems---application
domains where information is sensitive. I have worked for large and small IT service companies, ran a medical IT startup, and provide consulting services.
More generally, I am very interested technology-related policy (here, `policy' in a political sense): considering the social, economic and legal impacts of new technologies. This has me involved in a number of outreach activities. I have some background in law.
Originally from Australia, my hobbies are travel, travel and travel. I try to speak Español, a veces - and some Magyar.
- Cloud SafetyNet, a collaboration with Imperial College that investigates the enforcement of information flow controls within and between cloud providers.
- Microsoft Cloud Computing Research Centre: a virtual research centre in which technology lawyers and computer scientists work on the challenges in cloud computing where technology and regulation intersect. I represent both the Computer Laboratory and the Centre for Science and Policy in this collaboration with the QMUL Centre for Commercial Law Studies.
- I've just begun exploring the use of management and control infrastructure within the world of digital art and gallery spaces.
- I am on the Secretariat of the E-infrastructure Leadership Council with the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills which is charged with developing the UK's e-Infrastructure strategy.
- I am a member of staff at the Centre for Science and Policy, which works to promote high-quality engagement between academics and policy professionals, to integrate science into the policy-making process.
- Pervasive / ubiquitious computing: Managing the internet of things...
- Security: access controls, information flow control, certificates/PKI
- Policy: management, distribution, specification, conflict, compliance/audit
- Event-based systems: context awareness, event composition
- Adaptive / Reconfigurable systems: driven by context/policy
- Communication paradigms: Publish/Subscribe, messaging systems, data stream management
- Issues of privacy, trust, responsibility and accountability
- Digital, collaborative and interactive art.