HOME   PREV NEXT (Shortcomings of Verilog and VHDL (for HL-Synthesis).)
Synopsys Behavioural Compiler
... was an advanced (for the late 90's) compiler that extended RTL synthesis semantics.
- Provided compile-time loop unrolling,
- Operations on variables freely moved between clock cycles,
- Additional cycles to overcome hazards (user's clock is called a 'super state'),
- Provided temporally floating I/O with variable pipelining between ports.
Existing RTL paradigms not preserved within the same source file.
Unfortunately, designer lost control for places where he needed it.
Synopsys Behavioural Compiler Tutorial
- Understanding Behavioral Synthesis, A Practical Guide to High Level Design by John P Elliott;
Kluwer Academic Publishers ISBN 0-7923-8542-X
- Behavioral Synthesis, Digital System Design Using the Synopsys Behavioral Compiler by David W. Knapp, Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-569252-0