Portable Appliance Testsing (PAT) is not a legal requirement, but is required by our insurers. Estate Management have hired contractors to fulfill the insurers’ requirement at very short notice.
Some information which might be of interest:
- Computers will not be turned off without permission.
- No machine rooms or risers will be included in this testing.
- They expect to do 300 items per day, and will hve one ot two people at a time
- On the first day, they found a mains lead which failed the impedence test (.32 Mohms – had limescale)
- They estimated 1500 items (5 per PC), but then discovered that there were twice as many offices.
- All items plugged into the mains will be tested, including fitted dishwashers and fridges
- The tester uses 500v at 200mA
- Cables and connected devices, such as PCs and power supplies, are each tested, labelled and recorded.
- Visual inspection only on ‘servers’.
- Not testing unconnected kit e.g. in store rooms, so needs to be tested before bringing into use.
Any comments, questions, etc to firstname.lastname@example.org