I have recently finished my PhD in the Natural Language and Information Processing (NLIP) group at the Computer Laboratory of the University of Cambridge. My thesis was on grammatical error detection and correction for learners of English as a second language, under the supervision of Prof. Ted Briscoe.
Before that, I gained a MPhil Degree in Advanced Computer Science at the University of Cambridge in 2013. My MPhil project was "Error detection/correction of Chinese ESL learners using SMT", supervised by Prof. Ted Briscoe.
I am a member of St Edmund's College since 2012.
Prior to Cambridge, I received a BSc(Eng) Degree in Telecommunications Engineering with Management at Queen Mary University of London and Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications in 2012 (Joint Programme). The topic of my thesis was "Automatic Emotion Detection for Chinese Social Media Texts", supervised by Dr. Matthew Purver.
- Natural language processing
- Machine learning
- Neural networks and deep learning
- Educational applications
- Statistical/neural machine translation
- NLP for social media
- Zheng Yuan. 2017. Grammatical error correction in non-native English. PhD thesis, UCAM-CL-TR-904, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge. [pdf]
- Zheng Yuan, Ted Briscoe and Mariano Felice. 2016. Candidate re-ranking for SMT-based grammatical error correction. In Proceedings of the 11th Workshop on Innovative Use of NLP for Building Educational Applications (BEA 2016), pp. 256 - 266. San Diego, California, USA. [pdf]
- Zheng Yuan and Ted Briscoe. 2016. Grammatical error correction using neural machine translation. In Proceedings of the 2016 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies (NAACL-HLT 2016), pp. 380 - 386. San Diego, California, USA. [pdf]
- Zheng Yuan and Matthew Purver. 2015. Predicting Emotion Labels for Chinese Microblog Texts. In M. Gaber et al. (eds.), Advances in Social Media Analysis, pp. 129 - 149, Studies in Computational Intelligence 602, Springer. [publisher's website][draft pdf]
- Mariano Felice and Zheng Yuan. 2014. To err is human, to correct is divine. In XRDS: Crossroads, The ACM Magazine for Students, vol. 21 num. 1, pp. 22-27. New York, NY. ACM. [publisher's website]
- Mariano Felice, Zheng Yuan, Øistein E. Andersen, Helen Yannakoudakis and Ekaterina Kochmar. 2014. Grammatical error correction using hybrid systems and type filtering. In Proceedings of the 18th Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning: Shared Task (CoNLL 2014 Shared Task), pp. 15 - 24. Baltimore, Maryland, USA. [pdf]
- Mariano Felice and Zheng Yuan. 2014. Generating artificial errors for grammatical error correction. In Proceedings of the Student Research Workshop at 14th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL 14), pp. 116 - 126. Gothenburg, Sweden. [pdf]
- Zheng Yuan and Mariano Felice. 2013. Constrained grammatical error correction using Statistical Machine Translation. In Proceedings of the 17th Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning: Shared Task (CoNLL 2013 Shared Task), pp. 52 - 61. Sofia, Bulgaria. [pdf]
- Zheng Yuan and Matthew Purver. 2012. Predicting Emotion Labels for Chinese Microblog Texts. In Proceedings of the ECML-PKDD 2012 Workshop on Sentiment Discovery from Affective Data (SDAD 2012), pp. 40 - 47. Bristol, UK. [pdf]
University of Cambridge
William Gates Building
15 JJ Thomson Avenue
Cambridge CB3 0FD, UK
firstname.surname (at) cl.cam.ac.uk
+44 (0)1223 763588