Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
William Gates Building
15 JJ Thomson Avenue
CB3 0FD - UK
nv240 'at' cam.ac.uk
+44 (0)1223 763565
Qualcomm Innovation Fellow, 2012-2013
I have been a PhD student in the Computer Laboratory, at the University of Cambridge under the supervision of Professor Jon Crowcroft since February 2009. In 2012, I was awarded with a Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship. I am a member of the Networks and Operating Systems group, which is a subdivision of the Systems Research Group, and member of Fitzwilliam College, in which I was an active member of the graduate community holding different possitions in the MCR committe between 2010 and 2012. My research is mainly focused on mobile systems optimizations (see related work) but I also keep my nose on Signpost project.
I obtained a B.S./M.S. in Telecommunication Engineering from the University of Oviedo, Spain, in 2007. My M.S. Thesis was completed at the University of Cambridge as a visitor student working on Haggle Project (August 2006-February 2007), also under the supervision of Professor Jon Crowcroft. My work in Haggle was awarded with Honors Mentions by the University of Oviedo.
After graduating in 2007, I moved to Barcelona as an intern in Telefonica Internet Research Group with Dr. Pablo Rodriguez where I was working on IPTV performance on WiFi and Multipath Video Streaming for 10 months. After that experience, I joined Vodafone R&D (UK) with David Pollington in the Devices Team working on Intelligent Services design.
I also completed an internship at Deutsche Telekom Labs, TU-Berlin, with Dr. Pan Hui. Between July 2011 and September 2011, and June 2012 to October 2012, I also completed two fruitful internships at Telefonica Research with Dina Papagiannaki and Yan Grunenberger.
Short Resume (extended version on request)
- Distributed and Mobile Systems.
- Resources Sharing.
- Energy Efficiency.
- Inter-personal communications.
- Wireless/Cellular Networks.
- Mobile Platforms and Applications
- Mobile Operating Systems Design.
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez, Alessandro Finamore, Jay Shah, Yan Grunenberger, Hamed Haddadi, Konstantina Papagiannaki and Jon Crowcroft "Breaking for Commercials: Characterizing Mobile Advertising", To be presented In Proceedings of ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC 2012), Boston, MA, November 2012 [PDF]
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez, Vijay Erramilli, Yan Grunenberger, Laszlo Gyarmati, Nikolaos Laoutaris, Rade Stanojevic, Konstantina Papagiannaki "When David can help Goliath: the case for cellular augmentation of wired networks.", In Proceedings of ACM HotNets'12, Seattle, WA, October 2012 [PDF], [Slides]
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez, Salvatore Scellato, Hamed Haddadi, Carl Forsell, Jon Crowcroft and Cecilia Mascolo "Los Twindignados: The Rise of the Indignados Movement on Twitter", In ASE/IEEE International Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom'12), Amsterdam, September, 2012 [PDF]
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez, Christos Efstratiou, Geoffrey Xie and Jon Crowcroft "Enabling Opportunistic Resources Sharing on Mobile Operating Systems: Benefits and Challenges", In ACM S3 Workshop 2011 (collocated with Mobicom 2011), Las Vegas, September, 2011. [PDF]
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez and Jon Crowcroft "ErdOS: Achieving energy savings in mobile OS", In ACM MobiArch 2011, Washington D.C., June, 2011. [PDF], [BibTex]
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez, Pan Hui, Jon Crowcroft and Andrew Rice "Exhausting Battery Statistics", In Proceeding Mobiheld 2010, In conjunction with the 2010 ACM SIGCOMM, New Delhi, August, 2010.[PDF], [Slides], [BibTex]
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez, Pan Hui and Jon Crowcroft, "Has anyone seen my Goose? - Social Network Services in Developing Regions", In Proceeding IEEE Workshop on Social Mobile Web (SMW'09), In conjunction with the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Social Computing, Vancouver, August, 2009.[PDF][BibTex]
Journals and Book Chapters:
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez and Jon Crowcroft, "Energy Management Techniques in Modern Mobile Devices", In IEEE Communications Tutorials and Surveys, 2012. [PDF], [BibTex]
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez and Jon Crowcroft, "The Case for Context-Aware Resources Management in Mobile Operating Systems", Mobile Context Awareness, pages 97-113, Springer London, 2012. [BibTex]
Demos and Posters:
- Andrius Aucinas, Amir M Chaudhry, Jon Crowcroft, Sebastian Probst Eide, Steve Hand, Anil Madhavapeddy, Andrew Moore, Richard Mortier, Charalampos Rotsos and Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez, "Signposts: End-to-End Networking in a World of Middleboxes" (DEMO), In SIGCOMM'12, Helsinki, Finland, August 2012 [ABSTRACT], [PDF]
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez and Jon Crowcroft, "Erdos: An energy-aware social operating system for mobile handsets" (POSTER), In OSDI'10, Vancouver, Canada, October 2010 [ABSTRACT], [PDF]
- Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez, Pan Hui and Jon Crowcroft, "Goose: social network services for developing regions and rural areas"(DEMO), In Proceeding ACM SIGCOMM, Barcelona, August, 2009.[ABSTRACT]
I am a supervisor in the Computer Laboratory since October 2009. I have supervised:
Part II Projects:
Do not hesitate to contact me if you are looking for a Part II project on the area of mobile computing, mobile applications, energy efficiency, collaborative applications, sensors and mobile systems.