I am interested in modelling human intuitive reasoning, in particular with visual information, on machines to enable them to discover and learn new knowledge. My aim is to essentially humanise computer thinking. I explore how people informally solve problems, and computationally model this type of reasoning to enable machines to reason in a similar way. This involves:
- Developing knowledge representations that enable rigorous yet accessible reasoning in diverse domains;
- Devising techniques for automated reasoning systems to prove theorems using informal human- oriented approaches like diagrams, analogy and symmetry;
- Analysing and combining multiple representations (e.g., sentences, diagrams, images, natural language) in a uniform reasoning framework;
- Investigating the biological basis for human visual inference using neuroscience and machine learning;
- Applying these techniques to inference systems to better understand human reasoning.
Projects and Grants
- Leverhulme Trust Grant RPG-2016-082. ARD: Accessible Reasoning with Diagrams. Investigator. 2016-2019.
- Industrial Funding from Microsoft Research, Facebook, Google, IBM. women@CL Network. Investigator. 2008-2015.
- EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship GR/R76783/01. Automating Informal Human Mathematical Reasoning. Investigator. 2002-2012.
- EPSRC CASE Studentship CASE/CNA/07/66. PhD Supervisor. 2008-2012.
- NSF Award 1036113. Doctoral Symposium at the Sixth International Conference on the Theory and Application of Diagrams. Co-investigator with Prof. Ashok Goel and Prof. Hari Narayanan. 2010.
- EPSRC Grant EP/G020523/1. Conferences on Intelligent Computer Mathematics. Co-investigator with Dr~Volker Sorge. 2008.
- EPSRC Network Grant GR/T09231/01. women@CL: EPSRC Network for Women in Computing Research. Co-investigator with Prof. Ursula Martin. 2004-2008.
- EPSRC Grant GR/S87676/01. Diagrams 2004 Conference. Co-investigator with Dr A.F. Blackwell. 2004-2005.
- European Commission Grant HPRN-CT-2000-00102. Calculemus: System for Integrated Computation and Deduction. Staff member at Birmingham University. 2000--2004.
- EPSRC Grant. Formation of Methods for Proof Planning in Mathematics. Research fellow. 1998-2002.
- EPSRC Grant. Agent-Oriented Theorem Proving. Research fellow. 2000-2001.
- Advait Sarkar: Interactive data mining and visual analytics. 2013-2016. Jointly supervised with Alan Blackwell.
- Matej Urbas: Mechanising Heterogeneous Reasoning In Theorem Provers 2009-2014.
- Daniel Winterstein: Automating Diagrammatic Reasoning in Continuous Domains. Second Supervisor. 2000-2004.
Appointments and Peer Review Affiliations
- CPHC/BCS Distinguished Dissertation committee. Member since 2016.
- BCS Academy group for Women in Computing Research. Member since 2015.
- International Biennial Conference Series on the Theory and Application of Diagrams. Steering Committee member since 2004.
- women@CL national network project. Founder and Director since 2003.
- AAAI - The American association for artificial intelligence. Member.
- AISB - The society for the study of artificial intelligence and the simulation of behaviour. Member.
- EPSRC Peer Review College. Member 2002-2012.
- Annual series of Workshops on Automated Reasoning: Bridging the Gap between Theory and Practice. Organizing Committee member since 2005.
Selected Conference and Workshop Organization
- Program Chair. 9th International Conference on the Theory and Application of Diagrams (Diagrams 2016).
- Conference Chair. 6th International Conference on the Theory and Application of Diagrams (Diagrams 2010).
- Organizer. Careers workshop "Women in Computing Research". International Joint Conference on AI (IJCAI 2005).
- Local Chair. 3rd International Conference on the Theory and Application of Diagrams (Diagrams 2004).
- Workshop and Tutorial Chair. 18th Conference on Automated Deduction (CADE-18), FLOC 2002.
Selected Membership of International Programme Committees
- International Conference on the Theory and Application of Diagrams 2016, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000.
- International Conference on Intelligent Computer Mathematics (CICM-MKM) 2016, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007.
- International Conference on Conceptual Structures (ICCS 2016).
- International Workshop on User Interfaces for Theorem Provers (UITP 2016, part of IJCAR 2016).
- International Conference on Logic for Programming Artificial Intelligence and Reasoning (LPAR) 2005, 2002.