I am a research associate (postdoctoral researcher) at Cambridge University's Computer Laboratory, where I am working on RECOGNITION, the FP7 European project.
My research spans the areas of applied machine learning, information retrieval and social network analysis. A common thread in my research is dealing with
algorithmic and pragmatic aspects of problems emerging in applications with large data and complex structures.
Prior to joining the Computer Lab, I was a PhD student in the department of computer science at University College London (UCL). I was a member of Media Futures group and worked under the supervision of Ingemar Cox. During the PhD I was also a Microsoft Research Graduate fellow and closely collaborated with Natasa Milic-Frayling and her team at Microsoft Research Cambridge.
The main contribution of my PhD was a cost optimization framework for constucting budget-constrained information retrieval test collections.
- M. Hosseini, I.Cox, N.Milic-Frayling, M.Shokouhi, and E.Yilmaz.``An Uncertainty-aware Query Selection Model for Evaluation of IR Systems'', in Proceedings of the 35th international ACM Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, SIGIR 2012.PDF
- M. Hosseini, I.Cox, N.Milic-Frayling, G.Kazai, and V.Vinay.``On Aggregating Labels from Multiple Crowd Workers to Infer Relevance of Documents'', in Proceeding of 34th European Conference on Information Retrieval, ECIR 2012.PDF
- M. Hosseini, I.Cox, N.Milic-Frayling,T.Sweeting, and V.Vinay.``Prioritizing Relevance Judgments to Improve the Construction of IR Test Collections'', in Proceeding of 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, CIKM 2011.PDF
- M. Hosseini, I.Cox, N.Milic-Frayling, V.Vinay, and T.Sweeting.``Selecting a Subset of Queries for Acquisition of further Relevance Judgements'', in Proceeding of 3rd International Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval, ICTIR 2011.PDF
- M. Hosseini, I.Cox, N.Milic-Frayling, and V.Vinay.``Measuring Variability in Effectiveness of Retrieval Systems'', in Proceeding of the 1th International Conference on Information Retrieval Facility, IRFC 2010.PDF
- M. Hosseini.``A Study on Performance Volatility in Information Retrieval'', in Proceedings of the 32nd international ACM Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, SIGIR 2009.
- M. Hosseini and H. Abolhassani.``Clustering a Search Engine's Log for Query Recommendation'', in Proceeding of Advanced in Computer Science and Engineering, ACSE 2009.
- M. Hosseini and H. Abolhassani.``Mining Search Engine Query Logs for Evaluating Content and Structure of a Web Site'', in Proceeding of IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence, Web Intelligence(WI) 2007.