Concurrent and Distributed systems
This is the set of exercises for my supervisions in Concurrent and Distributed Systems. Before each supervision, I will email you a list with which exercises you should attempt.
You are expected to attempt to produce solutions to all the relevant questions before each supervision. I prefer submissions by email (PDF or text format). Please submit your work 24 hours before the supervision. However, if you want to submit a paper copy, please make sure to hand it in, to the Student Administration, 48 hours before the supervision. Please also email me, so that I know I have to pick up your submission.
Supervision 1Please attempt to solve the following questions:
- Entire question 9 from Paper 5, 2013
- Questions 9(a) and 9(c) from Paper 5, 2011
- Question 8(b) from Paper 5, 2011
- Question 6(b) from Paper 5, 2010
- As a stretch exercise please attempt to solve question 3 from Distributed Systems supervision 1
Supervision 2Please attempt to solve the following questions:
- Entire question 9 from Paper 5, 2012
- Question 9(b) from Paper 5, 2011
- Question 6(a) from Paper 5, 2010
- Describe the CAP theorem.
- Imagine you want to build a distributed file system designed to store data for large batch processing. How would you design the system? Which guarantees would you try to provide? How would you store its metadata?
- Describe the limitations of the MapReduce paradigm. Discuss how you would improve the paradigm.