Dr. Grant Olney Passmore
Researcher, Automated Theorem Proving and
Co-Founder and CEO,
Aesthetic Integration, London
Imandra Capital Group Limited,
Clare Hall, University of
Secretary: (+44) (0)207-877-0048
25 Old Broad St
City of London
EC2N 1HQ, UK
New Course on Algebro-Geometric Decision Methods at Cambridge
Lent term, 2012, I taught a Part IV
pure mathematics course called Decision Methods over Real and
Closed Fields at DPMMS, Cambridge.
I had a wonderful time and am very keen to teach such a course again.
Please let me know if you'd like the notes (feedback appreciated!). Thank you to those of you who joined!
(A rough lecture roadmap, beginning with Lecture 1 - `Framing the
Miracle' of the decidability of Th(<R, +, *, <, 0, 1>), and ending with Lecture 10 - `Krivine-Stengle Weak Positivstellensatz')
- Reznick's moving
``The Secret Lives of Polynomial Identities'' : pdf
- Kuga's indescribable ``Galois' Dream: Group Theory and Differential
Equations'' : Google Books preview
; truly a work of beauty
- Leon Henkin's riveting 1996 article ``The Discovery of My Completeness Proofs''; when constants are enough ~ completeness for FOL on the way to completeness for HOL (w.r.t. general models)!
- Natalie Wolchover's wonderful 2013 article
``In Computers We
Trust?'' on the use of computers in both discovery and proof in
- Instrument - Ten Years of the Band Fugazi : imdb ; nevermind what's been selling, it's what you're buying
- Killing a Camera - The Braid Documentary : insound ; new nathan detroits!
- Björk interviewing Arvo Pärt : YouTube (i, ii)
- Paul Cohen on his relationship with Gödel and the discovery of forcing : YouTube (i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi) ; beyond words
- The work of Alex Wilkie
- Real algebraic and analytic geometry preprint server
- Model theory preprint server
- The films (mysteries!) of Michaelangelo Antonioni