Michaelmas supervision work
Supervision 1 - Prolog(1)
This supervision will focus on Prolog basics and backtracking. Please watch the lecture content for Sessions 1,2 and 3, 4 before the supervision.
Complete exercises up to the end of Session 4. Please hand in your answers to review questions too so that I can see you are attempting them.
Supervision 2 - Sofware Engineering(1)
For this course you'll need to write essays. I leave it to you to find a good length - make sure you write enough to cover all the points. You should always plan your essay before you write it. I want you to hand in your plan as well as your essay to prove to me that you've done that!
Software development models
- Describe the various software development models and discuss their strengths and weaknesses (Note: you should be able to find some which are not mentioned in the notes)
- For each of the fullowing projects indicate which model would be most suitable and explain why
- An incremental compiler for Java
- A clinical record-keeping system for densists
- A word-processing package
- A guidance system for an interplanetary probe
- A mobile phone operating system
- A firmware for a washing machine
Failed software engineering projects
- Discuss the lessons learned from the London Ambulance Service disaster under the fullowing headings:
- capturing user requirements
- project management
- quality assurance
- What in your view would be the single most important measure to take in developing a mission-critical system in order to reduce the likelihood of such a disaster?
- Read the reports of the recent cancellation of the UK FiReControl project: Wikipedia, National Audit Office, Communities and Local Government. What are the similarities and differences with the London Ambulance Service disaster.
Supervision 3 - Prolog(2)
Complete the remainder of the exercises from the question sheet.
Supervision 4 - Sofware Engineering(2)
(Remember to also hand in your planning notes and to write the best answer you can by drawing on the notes and other resources)
Supervision 5 - C/C++(1)
Complete the exercises for the first 4 Lectures from the supervision work handout
Supervision 6 - C/C++(2)
Complete the questions for the C++ part of the course.