HOME   PREV FURTHER NOTES NEXT (Legacy H/W S/W Design Partition)
H/W S/W Design Partition Principles
Decide what to do in hardware:
- Physical I/O (line drivers/transducers/media interfaces),
- Highly compute-intensive, fixed functions,
what to do on custom processors:
- Bit-oriented operations,
- Highly compute-intensive SIMD,
- Other algorithms with custom data paths,
- Algorithms that might be altered post tape out.
and what to do in S/W on standard cores:
- Highly-complex, non-repetitive functions,
- Low-throughput computations of any sort,
- Functions that might be altered post tape out.
- As much as possible.