I am exploring how to capture efficiently data causality in "Big Data" systems and what we can do with this information. I am also interested in energy-efficient datacentres and how to exploit renewable enegy to power them.
1. Sherif Akoush, Lucian Carata, Ripduman Sohan, Andy Hopper, "MrLazy: Lazy Runtime Label Propagation for MapReduce," 6th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud 14), Philadelphia, PA, USENIX Association, Jun 2014
2. Lucian Carata, Sherif Akoush, Nikilesh Balakrishnan, Thomas Bytheway, Ripduman Sohan, Margo Seltzer, Andy Hopper, "A primer on provenance," Communications of the ACM, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 52--60, ACM, 2014
3. Sherif Akoush, Ripduman Sohan, Andy Hopper, "HadoopProv: Towards Provenance As a First Class Citizen in MapReduce," Proceedings of the 5th USENIX Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Provenance, Berkeley, CA, USA, series TaPP '13, pp. 11:1--11:4, USENIX Association, Apr 2013
4. Sherif Akoush, Ripduman Sohan, Bogdan Roman, Andrew Rice, Andy Hopper, "Activity Based Sector Synchronisation: Efficient Transfer of Disk-State For WAN Live Migration," The 19th Annual Meeting of the IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS'11), Singapore, Jul 2011
5. Sherif Akoush, Ripduman Sohan, Andrew Rice, Andrew W. Moore, Andy Hopper, "Free Lunch: Exploiting Renewable Energy For Computing," the 13th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems (HOTOS'XIII), NAPA, CL, USA, May 2011
6. Sherif Akoush, Ripduman Sohan, Andrew Rice, Andrew W. Moore, Andy Hopper, "Predicting the Performance of Virtual Machine Migration," The 18th Annual Meeting of the IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS'10), Miami, FL, USA, Aug 2010
7. Andrew Rice, Sherif Akoush, Andy Hopper, "Failure is an option," Technical Report, MSR-TR-2008-61, Microsoft Research Technical Report, May 2008