The laboratory has been developing a wireless ATM system for around 5 years. The system is designed as an extension to existing ATM LANs providing a mobile drop cable to devices within a building. Initially the system will be deployed within office, factory or commercial environments and as costs are reduced will be used in the home.
The system is based on short-range in-building pico-cells with a range of 10-30metres. A system with short range cells can be built much more cheaply than one with larger cells because the problems associated with in-building propagation are greatly reduced. Although more base-stations may be required to provide the same coverage, each base-station is considerably cheaper. If the system is designed to interface directly to the existing ATM LAN then the incremental cost of a base-station can be low. An increased number of base-stations, or reduction in size of pico-cells has the desirable side-effect of increasing the aggregate bandwidth of the system.
A prototype has been in existence for around 2 years which provides a 10Mbit/s ATM link of around 10metres range and operates in the 2.45GHz ISM band.
A new prototype is being developed which has a data-rate of 25Mbit/s and operates in one of the 5GHz bands. This system has a range of upto 30 metres.
ATM Forum contributions
- ATM Forum joint proposal to ETSI RES-10
- Wireless ATM Service Scenarios, ATM Forum Contribution 96-1056 (.txt, .pdf, .ps, .doc)
- Wireless ATM Radio Access Layer Requirements, ATM Forum Contribution 96-1057 (.txt, .pdf, .ps, .doc)
- Tunnelled Signalling for the Support of Mobile ATM, ATM Forum Contribution 96-1699 (.txt, .pdf, .ps, .doc)
- Wireless ATM Handover Requirements and Issues, ATM Forum Contribution 97-0153 (.txt, .pdf, .ps, .doc)
- Wireless Mobile Terminal/Network Anchor Switch Handover Model, ATM Forum Contribution 97-0265 (.txt, .pdf, .ps, .doc)
- Handover Requirements for WATM Baseline Document, ATM Forum Contribution 97-0266 (.txt, .pdf, .ps, .doc)
- Surrogate Signalling Support for Mobile ATM Networks, ATM Forum Contribution 97-0533 (.txt, .pdf, .ps, .doc)
- COMSIG paper on equalization
- IEEE JSAC paper on handover
- OPENSIG 97 presentation
- Wireless ATM Workshop Helsinki, Finland
- Technical report 96.5 "The Radio ATM System, Architecture and Implementation"
- Technical report 94.2 "An ATM based protocol for Wireless LANs"
Wireless ATM information
Other Wireless ATM projects
- Magic WAND
- Lucent - BAHAMA, SWAN
- Wireless ATM Adaptive Voice/Data Networks (University of Kansas)
- Rapidly Deployable Radio Network (University of Kansas)
- German Wireless ATM project
- World Wide Web Virtual Library: Mobile and Wireless Computing
- COMET (open signalling for ATM + mobility)
- Dataman (Rutgers University)
- Wireless LAN group (University of Mass., Amherst)
- Mobile Computing at the University of Washington
- Research on Mobile Computing at Purdue
- Mobile Computing at CITI (University of Michigan)
- CMU INI Wireless research
Copyright © 2002 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge