Catering in West Cambridge
- Nanna Mexico
Tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos, and salad, on Clerk Maxwell Rd., just behind Microsoft Research, each Tuesday and Thursday 12:00–14:00.
- Norfolk Streat Deli
Have a sandwich van outside Microsoft Research on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays at 10:00–12:00.
- Mon Panier Mignon
Offering various sandwiches and Italian cakes, this van appears at the front car park weekdays at 12:30 (outside Microsoft Research at 12:00).
William Gates Building Caféteria
Refreshments, hot drinks and snacks are available from the Café located in the south-west corner ground floor (GW24) area of the William Gates Building. Opening hours:
Monday – Friday
9:00 – 16:30
All day menu
- Various sandwiches and baguettes
- Fairtrade teas and coffees
- Dilmah flavoured teas
- Fairtrade juices and squash drinks
- Various fizzy drinks, and bottled water
- Sweet and savoury snacks including crisps, yoghurt and Fairtrade chocolate
- Bacon sandwiches
- Soup and roll
- Jacket potatoes (with various fillings)
- Paninis with various fillings
- Fridays: fish and chips
Out-of-hours, vending machines selling snacks and drinks are also available.
Note: If you take china mugs away from the Café area, please ensure you return them promptly.
There are currently three vending machines in the Computer Laboratory:
- refrigerated food and soft drinks at the cafe
- sweets and crists at the first-floor back entrance of Lecture Theatre 2
- hot drinks in the common room kitchen (FC35)
The Hauser Forum at the southern end of JJ Thomson Avenue houses a SO Deli brand cafeteria.
The cafe at the Centre for Advanced Photonics and Electronics (map) is available to anyone with a valid University Card. Take your card to the CAPE receptionist who can authorise it such that you can open the turnstiles yourself in future.
Every Friday from 17:00 in the Common Room (FC24) on the first floor of the William Gates Building, “Happy Hour” is a time to relax after a week’s work, catch up with friends and colleagues, and meet other members of the department. Local beer, juices, soft-drinks and nibbles are available.
Kitchens in the Computer Laboratory
Kitchenettes can be found on every floor, on every corridor. Most of them have their own kettle or coffee machine as well as a fridge. A dishwasher is located in the kitchen at at FC35 and microwaves in GS13 and FC35. The microwave ovens have been fitted with wall plugs with a built-in timer for additional safety: push the plug to activate power for the next five minutes.
If using the microwave, always check you have set the timer correctly (never more than 5:00) and never abandon your food while it is being cooked. We have already twice had the fire brigade arriving because of unattended food in microwave ovens catching fire after 20 minutes!
Catering in the wider area
- Churchill College (on Storeys Way) runs self-service dinners which are open to anyone. People who are not members of the College can pay by cash. Dinner is served 18:15–19:00. (First-time users ask at Porters Lodge in Storey's Way for directions to the dining hall.)
- University Centre by the River Cam in Mill Lane, offers a wide range of catering and social facilities, open 9:00–24:00 every day except major bank holidays.
- Nearby pubs include