Building Services manage the William Gates building and its smooth day to day running.
It is our job to ensure the security of the Building and those who use it.
If your issue is not a computer related one, then it is Building Services you need to see.
On these pages you will find information on:
Who we are
The Building Services staff are:
How we can help
Some of the areas in which Building Services can help you with are:
- Plumbing – kitchen, toilets, showers, drains, etc.
- Lighting – in rooms, lecture theatres and classrooms and corridors, whether it be fixing or replacing bulbs and light fittings, or installing new light fixtures (these will need to be discussed with Building Services first).
- Water dispenser – the water bottles are very heavy. Please don't attempt to replace them unless you are sure you are fit enough to do so. (A fitness check list can be found on the side of the dispensers).
Building Services will be more than happy to come and replace the bottles, or replenish bottles if they are empty.
- Floor boxes – the location of floor boxes in each room is managed and maintained by Building Services.
- Heating and venting – the heating and venting of the lab is carefully managed and monitored to ensure your office is comfortable to work in. If you are unhappy with any aspect in this area, please do ask Building Services before opening windows, etc. For more information, visit the energy and recycling pages.
- Office care – cleaners should clean your office every evening, emptying bins and hoovering.
However, they will not disturb desks which are cluttered.
Visit the Office facilities page for more information on the Lab's cleaning services.
- Printers – whilst the sys-admins replace printer cartridges, we can provide the paper if you request it.
- Recycling – the lab encourages recycling where possible. For more information, visit the energy and recycling pages.
- Painting – if you notice areas around the building which could do with redecorating, please do report it and we will endeavour to clean or repaint as necessary.
- Broken or defective equipment – if you find any defective equipment in the building which is not IT-related, we can arrange to have it fixed or replaced.
This is by no means a complete list. If you need help, please contact Building Services.
If we can't help you, we will try to point you in the direction of someone who can.