Generic Unix/Linux system information
Lab-managed Linux systems
Lab-managed Linux/Unix systems are installed and upgraded by sys-admin and usually connected to the local network on VLAN 398 (domain: .cl.cam.ac.uk).
They are usually Ubuntu LTS installations with a range of local extensions, most of which come in the form of cl-* Debian packages and cl-* command-line tools. Lab-managed machines are configured to use the Kerberos servers of the departmental Active Directory domain for user authentication, departmental LDAP servers for user/group naming and login authorization, and the departmental CUPS servers for printer access.
Users on these machines by default have their home directory on the departmental NFS filer, to ensure their work is backed up. Local harddisks are not backed up. If you want to keep files on the local disk (e.g. local build directories or caches of large data files), they should go into /var/tmp or /local/scratch.
- Information concerning booting and shutting down Linux systems. This page also covers powersave options (and how to disable them).
- Unix (and other) file systems in the department
- Printing from Unix systems.
- SSH access to the CL systems (all machines apart from a few specialist servers).
- Software installation under Unix: covers software installation under the versions of Unix available in the Computer Lab.
- Window Managers and Desktop Environments: GNOME, Xfce.
Self-managed Linux/Unix machines
Self-managed Linux machines located in the department are usually connected to the local network on VLAN 290 (domain: *.sm.cl.cam.ac.uk). Home computers and mobile devices can also access departmental infrastructure via the CL-VPN.
- To access the repository of departmental packages for Ubuntu/Debian via apt-get:
$ curl https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/deb/cl.cam.ac.uk-archive-keyring.gpg | sudo apt-key add - $ sudo bash -c "echo 'deb http://www-repo-deb.cl.cam.ac.uk/deb CL all' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cl.list" $ sudo apt-get update
Some cl-* packages of particular interest for self-managed machines:
- SSH host keys of lab-managed machines (/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts-out)
- symbolic links for /homes, /anfs, /usr/groups, etc.
Note that Ubuntu/Debian use the cl-* prefix also for their own Common Lisp packages.
- Accessing the departmental filer via NFS, Kerberos, LDAP – for local machines
- Accessing the departmental filer via NFS, Kerberos and local getent/autofs files (“offline LDAP”) – for home/mobile computers
- Accessing departmental printers via CUPS