Equipment allocation and replacement
- The department provides systems for:
The machines are provided from a diverse pool, allowing people to select an appropriate one for their current needs.
Someone may start with a silent fanless low power machine while reading papers, move on to a lowish spec machine for some initial experiments, and end up with a high spec machine for final tests.
Someone else may require a very low power, but "always on", machine, using a TSS for more serious cycles.
- research students (for their 3 years).
For extra computer kit (such as test boxes, specialist hardware, etc) students approach their supervisor to find suitable kit from the group pool.
- academic staff (machine from the pool; non-standard hardware to be on grants)
- support/admin staff (upgrades as required)
The spec of the default offering is reviewed from time to time by the people who consider IT strategy.
As of 2011/09 the min spec is a 3GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 250GB disc, 2MPl LCD, 100Mbps NIC, running Unix or Windows with MS office.
In practice the default minimum is a Dual Core 64b CPU with 6GB RAM and 180GB of SSD.
- Research Assistants equipment is provided from the supporting grant
- For H&S related bits (such as a Quill, split keyboard, etc) contact the safety-officer.
- For office equipment, contact building-services.
Who supports what
- The Computer Officers support "standard" workstations for their 3 years of warranty. After that we try our best to patch things up.