Local System Information
This page offers pointers to detail of how to use lab systems, how to get help, and so on.
Getting help and introductory documents
- An introduction to computing facilities is an on-line copy of the booklet new users are given.
- We also have a Frequently Asked Questions list.
- Web server information including on how to export personal web pages files to the WWW and restrict access to them using .htaccess files and Raven passwords.
- Information for, and about, new arrivals at the Computer Lab is a selection of information, both technical and general, for new arrivals at the Computer Laboratory. This information is intended for everyone, both visitors and longer-term residents. There is also information for the host of a visitor.
- Information for people leaving the Computer Lab.
- Equipment allocation and supported Operating Systems
- For users of Unix systems: Redhat (Fedora and CentOS) and Ubuntu Linux; general information, software installation, configuration, applications.
- Printing and scanning
- Mail in the Computer Laboratory gives broad coverage of the facilities available.
Communications and the network
- Request a network connection.
- The Computer Lab network. An overview of the lab networks, both physical and wireless.
- The means of access to Computer Lab Systems, and other security related issues.
- The one-time password system, that allows safe connection to lab unix systems in an environment that is not secure.
- Information about the File server and other file spaces.
- Disc usage and quota report (requires Raven).
- Users can boot a machine if it's off.
- Video Conferencing Facilities Specialist resourses, such as High performance computing, Data centre facilities, application servers, and videoconference facilities.
- Sys-admin news
1 Jan 2017
On the 10th January the UPS is being moved. This will leave core services vulnerable to building power outage until it is recommissioned later that day. (more...)
10 Oct 2016
30 Sep 2016
On the morning of Tuesday, 4th October 2016 we will upgrade the web server software behind the main Lab web site. (more...)
15 Sep 2016
The UIS have recently made available reduced cost access to Business Dropbox available via normal purchasing means.
29 Aug 2016
Following a number of brute force password attacks against our Windows Terminal Server hosts these have now been restricted to only accept connections from clients within the University network. If you need to access them from outside that network then first connect using a VPN.