Using Private Laptops in the Computer Laboratory
This page contains information for current members of the Computer Laboratory explainging how to integrate their laptop with local services and networks.
Obtaining Network Access
- Information about local wireless networks
- with background information on
- Check if your machine is registered and/or register a machine. This is the first step to complete to access the Laboratory Managed networks.
- How to access the laboratory network remotely.
- Integrating private Windows machines is supported.
- Anti virus software for University staff and students which must be installed on all machines used anywhere within the University.
- It is straightforward to integrate a MAC with departmental facilities.
- See Information about printing in the department for an overview of the printing facilities available. Most printers can be used by private machines whilst they are in the building.
- Windows users can find out how to setup printers using LPR which can be accessed from any network within the Computer Laboratory building.
- Mac and Linux users can often use the CUPS server directly although this may require you to change your configuration file in order to print elsewhere.