Internal documentation for local users
This page contains various information for current members of the Computer Laboratory.
The William Gates Building
- Plans of the building and OpenRoomMap – Where is that room number?
- Meeting rooms – and how to book them.
- Office facilities – Information on ventilation, temperature control, lights, windows, locks, furniture, connections and cleaning.
- Lecture theatre audio-visual facilities – Information for lecturers and speakers.
- Building Administration – This page contains a range of information useful to occupants of the building, especially to those who are new to the building.
- Food – Cafeterias, lunch vans, etc. [NEW]
- Design pages – The old pages for the design of the new building are still available.
- Local system information page – A variety of links to information about the systems in use at the Computer Laboratory. Also has links to University documents about legal and policy issues.
- Using private laptops in the department – A variety of links to information explaining how to integrate private laptops with departmental facilities.
- Web server information – including how to export personal web pages files to the WWW, restrict access to them using .htaccess files and Raven passwords, and format them with departmental house style.
Arrivals and Departures
- Information for, and about, new arrivals – A selection of information, both technical and general, for new arrivals at the Computer Laboratory. This information is intended for everyone, visitors and longer-term residents. There is also information for the hosts of a visitor.
- Arrivals Form – for Visitors, Interns, Staff and RAs
- Leaving the Computer Laboratory – This page contains a miscellaneous collection of items of which people leaving the Computer Lab should be aware. It also points to information about the Writing up/Hot desk area.
- General policy statements – Documents on Laboratory policies on intellectual property, safety, computers and their use, financial procedures, social behaviour, etc.
- Web page policy – The Computer Laboratory's basic policies on the content of its web site.
- CUFS grants data for principal investigators – a local pilot read-only view of CUFS data (requires CL Kerberos password)
- Arranging travel – advice on how best to arrange travel to academic conferences, workshops, summer schools, etc.
- Travel expense claims – how to get planned travel (or other) expenses approved in advance and how to then claim for reimbursement afterwards.
- Applications for funding to travel to conferences, etc. - use Part I of the travel expense form and get it signed by the person who manages the funds (the grant holder or principal investigator).
- Travel fund for university teaching officers - use this application form. This fund is managed by the Deputy Head of Department (Research) and is available only to University Officers.
- Research grant application budgets – the Department's formal procedure for grant applications and advice on preparing the budget.
- Research grant application academic case – Some example research grants and informal guidance on producing research proposals.
- Procedure for appointment or promotion to Senior Research Associate.
- Request to advertise – Fill out this form to request permission to advertise a research position.
- Orientation document for new staff – Orientation information, primarily aimed at new assistant staff. Contains stuff which will be useful to anyone who is new to the Computer Laboratory.
- Health and safety information – Information on various issues including typing-related injuries.
- Staff appraisal programme – Information on the Laboratory's staff appraisal, along with the appraisal form (Word, PDF)
- Application for for Short Leave Requests – Short leave under Statute D, II, 3(b) may be requested through the Head of Department for periods of between two and fourteen nights during Full Term (permission is not needed for an absence of two nights or less).
- Teaching Handbook – The reference handbook for teaching in the Computer Laboratory.
- Typographic resources – House style, letterheads, business cards, thesis formatting advice, etc.
- Sabbatical Leave – information on the policy and the application procedure plus a link to the application form CHRIS/67.
- The Computer Laboratory library – A source of much useful information about Computer Science.
- Library committee minutes – The minutes of the library committee.
- Technical Reports – The Laboratory has been publishing technical reports (ISSN 1476-2986) since 1974. There is a complete index of the laboratory's technical reports plus information on how to submit a new technical report.
User-editable internal knowledge collections:
- System administration – Technical notes of the sys-admin team
- Teaching administration – infrastructure and workflows (course databases, exam management, etc.)
- Electronics resources – information for researchers prototyping devices
- Personnel Photo Gallery – Photographs of the staff of the Laboratory.
- Research Students – Administrative information, policy statements and guides for research students and their supervisors.
- Administrative databases – SQL Server tables of users, visitors, phones, etc.
- Roles and Responsibilities – Who does what within the Computer Laboratory.
- The History of the Computer Laboratory – A short history of the Computer Laboratory. Includes details of the collection of artifacts of historical interest stored within the Laboratory, and of EDSAC99, a conference held in April 1999 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the EDSAC I computer.