University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory

Health and Safety Committee


Chairman: Dr P Brooks                                                                        Secretary: Mrs L Heptonstall


Minutes of a meeting of the Health and Safety Committee held at 14.15 on Wednesday 17th November 2004 in Room GC22, William Gates Building.

Present:            Dr P Brooks                             Mrs C Matthews

                        Mrs L Heptonstall                     Mr M McDonnell                    

                        Mr A Brown                            Mr D Turner

                        Mrs M Levitt                            Mr D Cottingham

                        Mrs R Moss                             Dr M Kuhn

                        Mrs A Barreto              Mr A Wonfor


Apologies:        Mrs F Billingsley


0.  The committee welcomed back to the committee Angela Barreto who has returned after 6 months maternity leave.


1.      Minutes of the last meeting


1.1 The minutes of the meeting held on the 15th September were approved and signed after correcting an error on 2.2 (7.4) where PB was named to action and it should have been AB/MMcD.

2.      Matters arising from the Minutes



3.  Correspondence


3.1 Details of a driving at work course has been received, we do not have any need for this.


3.2 PB discussed an email on a Risk Management session with AH and it transpires that it is a financial matter for AH to deal with, and not a Health and Safety issue.


3.3 The Health and Safety Technical Index is now available on the web.


3.4 Issues raised in the recent SSCOM meeting relating to Health and Safety were;


 a) The inner door in LT1 was jamming on one of the mats, so the mat has been removed.


b) The main entrance doors are still to be replaced; AB is to check with HoD at the next Building Users Meeting on the 30th November.                                          

                                                                                                            ACTION AB


c) It was confirmed that the lights in the lifts have now been replaced.


d) Building Access; Enquiries have been made to lowering the cotag card entry points to enable people in wheelchairs to reach.


e) Other issues that were raised were that the tables in FW26 which are removable can easily be replaced with ones that are more user friendly.


3.4 MAL reported that she sent the email concerning mumps put after being advised to by the health and safety division to help settle peoples rising concerns.


4   First Aid and Accidents

4.1 NRO47 – Whilst cycling along JJ Thomson Avenue a cyclist impacted a large dark object which was blocking the pathway, despite breaking he impacted the object, no first aid was necessary but this may be hazardous for other users. It seems the object was the new “safety” measure being constructed to make the junction safer.


4.2 The chairman confirmed that 4 First Aiders and 6 other members of the lab attended a course in Epipen assistance and administration, and this training is valid for 3 years.


5.  Workplace Assessments 


5.1 PB is still reviewing those he has received, and more are still expected.


6 Fire


6.1 A letter confirming Martin McDonnell as our new FSM must be sent in to the Fire Office.


                                                                                                                        ACTION CM


6.2 AB confirmed that the positions on the wall for the Evac chairs are in place, but is awaiting the Evac chair training to take place before mounting them. PB is to chase up when training is likely to take place.

                                                                                                                        ACTION PB                                                                                                                                                  

7. Building Matters

7.1   AB reported that he is in the process of liaising with the architects concerning the health and safety issues that were raised due to the faulty fitting of the showers in the building.

                                                                                                                        ACTION AB                                                                                                                                                             

8. Building Matters


8.1) AB relayed to the group an incident which recently occurred where a rucksack was dropped from the second floor walkway on to the street. Luckily no one was harmed in the incident, but AB pointed out that this is an issue we must address as it is a risk that if anything is dropped accidentally by anyone walking on the higher floors, due to there being no kickboards and large gaps in the walkways, that someone walking in the street area could be injured. Several committee members suggested that a clear material such as Perspex would not ruin the aesthetics of the building, but would greatly improve the safety risks. The area is also not child friendly so fixing this problem would open up possibilities for Science open days. AB is to look into kickboard and the possibilities that are available.

                                                                                                                        ACTION AB


8.2) At the “West Cambridge – Children” meeting there was considerable concern about the lack of road markings, as there was no indication as to what people should do, e.g. which are parking areas. The full time DSO’s present pointed out that the roads were covered by the Health and Safety at work regulations. As such, the roads are to be marked.


8.3 CAPE


There is a great deal of concern over the haul road junction now that the CAPE building work is underway.  


a) The chicane which is being constructed should be manageable by most cyclists, but we are not yet sure whether it is OK for wheelchair users.


b) There is no additional lighting or signage for cyclists, and with new barriers going up this needs to be addressed. PB asked if any lighting from WGB can be redirected and AB confirmed that this would in fact dazzle other road users and would not be able to take this from the roof instead. The barriers are to be there for at least 9 months so we need a long term solution to the problem. The general opinion was that reflective tape on the barriers concerned would be an easy and effective solution. This is CAPE’s responsibility. AB is to relay our thoughts to Andrew Gordon.

                                                                                                                        ACTION AB


c) All site vehicles are to be parked on site or at park and cycle and should be sticking to a 5mph speed limit.


d) The delivery lorries are also churning up the grass at the back of WGB. AB to bring this to Andrew Gordon’s attention.


8.3 MAL’s report on the West Cambridge Users meeting brought up the following issues:


a) Street lighting: Is to be upgraded in September 2005, by replacing the lamps standards.


b) Coton Footpath: The planned work on the Coton Footpath is awaiting signature from St Johns College before this can go ahead.


c) The hedge outside WGB was reported as being too high.


d) Proposals for a bus shelter on JJ Thomson Avenue have been rejected as it would spoil the line of the road. There may be one on another stop further down, but this is yet to be confirmed.


e) The CCTV contract has been signed, so more CCTV cameras will be going up on site.


f) Progress is being made with regards to the road markings on JJ Thomson Avenue.









9. Any other business



Dates of the future meetings:
The next meetings will be on the 15th of December. Please note that the February 2005 meeting is cancelled due to staff absences and shortage of meeting rooms.