University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory

Health and Safety Committee


Chairman: Dr P Brooks                                                                        Secretary: Mrs L Heptonstall


Minutes of a meeting of the Health and Safety Committee held at 14.15 on Wednesday 15th September 2004 in Room GC22, William Gates Building.

Present:            Dr P Brooks                             Mrs C Matthews

                        Mrs L Heptonstall                     Mr M McDonnell                    

                        Mr A Brown                            Mr A Wonfor

                        Mr S Bishop                             Dr M Kuhn

                        Mrs F Billingsley                       Ms V Capaldi


Apologies:        Mrs R Moss, Mrs M Levitt


0.  New members

The committee welcomed Martin McDonnell and Fiona Billingsley as new members of the                 committee. It was also noted that this was to be Steven Bishops last meeting as he was leaving the lab this month. We thanked him for his ongoing support and wished him well in his future.


1.      Minutes of the last meeting


1.1 The minutes of the meeting held on the 21st July were approved and signed.

2.      Matters arising from the Minutes



3.  Correspondence


3.1 We have received a University Chemical Hazard RA form and an invitation to attend a Safe Handling of Laboratory Gas course. It was agreed that we have no need for these as they do not apply to the Computer Laboratory.


3.2 AB pointed out that he had received a letter from the Fire Brigade warning us of impending strikes. Nothing has been confirmed yet but will keep us informed.

4   First Aid and Accidents

4.1 NR043 – A member of staff had banged their head on a door left open. It was a one off incident and first aid was given.

4.2 NRO44 – Some water had been spilt and a cleaner had slipped and hurt her wrist. AB reported she was in a lot of pain following the incident.


5.  Workplace Assessments 


5.1 Awaiting feedback from Kate Ellis on any progress being made with the return of any WPA’s.






6 Fire


6.1 AB has received details of the Fire safety Manager training and reported that it is not going to be onsite as the committee had hoped. AB is to inform them of the people going on the course.


                                                                                                                        ACTION AB


6.2 It was reported that on the 23rd September members of the Fire Safety Unit were coming into discuss the provision of Evac+Chairs. Places of refuge are not to be used since this ruling expired in 1999.


7. Building Matters

7.1 There have been incidents where the toilet doors have been locking with people inside them. It has been discovered that this is a different problem to the one previously experienced. It appears that the whole barrel has shifted and the instructions on the door to help previously no longer work. AB reported that Shepherds construction were supposed to have repaired them, but is now happening again. Shepherds are being contacted to come in and fix the problem completely. In the meantime, Martin and Archie will repair the barrels with tape. MK reported that the toilet in GS corridor needs attention.                                               

                                                                                                                        ACTION AB


7.2 There is no isolation switch for the fridge, isolation switch is only supplied for complete kitchen circuit but the thermostatic control is also an on off switch.


7.3 The coffee machine on the first floor is leaking. It doesn’t actually belong to the lab but AB will replace the kettle and assess the leak.

                                                                                                                        ACTION AB


7.4 One of the glass doors from the second floor shower cubicle fell off and smashed recently. Luckily no one was injured but it has since transpired that this is a fault with all the doors hinge system. RMJM and EMBS are due to come and assess and repair the problem, but until then AB and MMcD will temporarily repair the hinges with the problem. The area is hazardous and the cubicle door has been locked. AB to report on progress.

                                                                                                                        ACTION AB



8. Any Other Business
PB reported that the quillmouse that has been bought for use by a student with RSI has been successful. The only snag with the product is that it is handed so the student has to change hands throughout the day. It will however be very useful for any future problems of this nature.


Dates of the future meetings
The next meeting will be on the 20 October, 17 November, 15 December.