University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory

Minutes of the 104th Health and Safety Committee Meeting

Held on Wednesday 15th October 2003 in GC22




Present:          P Brooks (chairman) L Heptonstall (secretary)A Wonfor, J Cartwright,                         A Brown, M Kuhn, A Barreto, C Bean, M Levitt, R Moss, G Titmus,

                        S Bishop



Apologies:      None


1                      Items for any other business



2                      Any corrections to previous minutes



3                      Accidents and matters arising from accident reports

            There were three incidents this month;

            NRO35: A student after not eating breakfast and cycling to get to his     first lecture felt ill and vomited a small amount of water. A first aider       was called and helped to put him at ease and clean him up.


            NR036: A passer by who was jogging had fallen over and was seen by             a student who called the departmental secretary who called an    ambulance. Her arm was put in a sling and it since transpires that it         was broken and has had surgery.


            NR037:  A student came to a first aider complaining of a headache.       Wanted to visit his GP but was unable to cycle there. A taxi was called             for him and paid for by the department.


4                      Personal and workplace assessment referral forms

                        5 Workplace Assessment Forms have been returned, no problems to                report.


5.1                   Key Holders

                        AB still waiting for names. He will follow up.                                                                                                                                                     Action AB


5.2                   First Aid Room

                        Tiles to be fitted before dispensers can be fitted.                                                                                                                                                            Action AB


5.3                   Fire

            AB to call Defensor about installing Intel kitchen and FN corridor          holdbacks. (Afternote: done)



5.4                   Building Inspection

                        AB has purchased a set of steps to replace the domestic ladder in                                  stores.


5.5                   Intel Teaching Lab

            Signs are ready and system in the process of being implemented. It has been requested that the “clean up campaign” be extended to include         GC12.


                                                                                                            Action MAL

6.                     Any other Business


6.1.1                    Door handles

                        RM pointed out that there were still door handles loose on hers and                   Adrian Wonfors floors. AB is to contact suppliers for repair materials.


                                                                                                                        Action AB

7. Correspondence


5.6 (7.12)         Lifting of water bottles

                        AB to contact Aquaid re signs for lifting water bottles.   Action AB



7.2                   Emergency Calls

                        MAL said that when calling an ambulance and following SB’s                            instructions, was all OK.


7.3                   Fire detection heads

                        Are being tested. Any not working will not be replaced                                      until chiller system is finished.                                                                                                                                                                                    Action AB


7.4                   Smoking in building

It was originally reported by the cleaners that people were smoking in the corridors, but no recent signs that this is continuing. Discussed whether sending a message around via email or putting up extra signage would be more effective. Decided that the staff are to be extra vigilant and report any evidence that suggests the signs are being ignored.


7.5                   Parking.

                        Was agreed that “visitors/drop off” car park area signs need to be made                        a lot clearer. For visitors; is front area a drop off or visitor’s car park.                  Policy is to be established and reception informed of what to tell                                visitors when they ask.

                                                                                                            Action AB/PB

7.6                   Cleaners

                        A first aid kit for the cleaners own use has been ordered by her                                     employers.


7.7                   Laser officer

                        The department now has a fully trained Laser                                                    Officer Marcus Kuhn.




7.8                   Research student with arthritis.

                        Was brought to the committee’s attention that there was a student with              arthritis. They have requested a particular keyboard which is more                          suited for their needs.


7.9                   Safety Audit

                        Main areas of concern were the risk assessments and safety                                          planning.


7.10                 A frame ladder

                        EMBS have not completed a risk assessment on the ladder they are                  using. AB is to challenge contractors.                  Action AB



7.11                                  Pigeons

                        Pigeons are becoming a problem. AB looking into hiring the Falconer                who will be here for 5 days.                                                                                                                                                                                    Action AB




Date of next meetings - 19th November, 17th December.

Meetings for 2004

 21st January, 18th February, 17th March, 21st April, 19th May, 16th June, 21st July, 18th August, 15th September, 20th October, 17th November, 15th December.