University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory

Minutes of the 94th Health and Safety Committee Meeting held on

Wednesday 20th November 2002 in GC22

 

Present:†††††††† P Brooks (Chairman), A Brown, C Bean, K Ellis (Secretary), M Kuhn,

††††††††††††††††††††††† M Levitt, A Leeke, P Neaves

Apologies:†††† Maurice Read (University Fire Officer), P Crofts, R Moss, G Titmus

 

0.†††††††††††††† New Member

††††††††††††††††† The committee welcomed Angela Leeke from Intel to the meeting.

 

1.†††††††††††††† Items for Any Other Business

††††††††††††††††† No

 

2.†††††††††††††† Any Corrections to Previous Minutes

††††††††††††††††† None

 

3.†††††††††††††† Accidents and matters arising from Accident Reports

NR022: A student opened the door between the GS corridor and the Common Room when part of the locking mechanism fell from the top of the door frame and struck her on the head.† The door lock has now been replaced and the student involved is fine.

 

4.†††††††††††††† Personnel and Workplace Assessment Referral Forms

††††††††††††††††† None

 

5.                              Matters Arising from Previous Minutes

5.1 (5.2)†††† Fire

The University Fire Officer is still in the process of reviewing where the signs are to be refitted.

Action: MR

 

At a meeting with PB, RMJM, The University Fire Officer and the County Fire Officer it was decided that 1st and 2nd floors red fire alarm points are to be fitted.† It was agreed that call points which directly unlock the adjacent door would be fitted beside the 1st and 2nd floors on Grid Line E Doors.

 

The Teaching Committee asked if it was possible to get an extended special exemption to not evacuate the Lecture Theatres during exams, to cover all Lectures and Seminars.† It was felt that the consequences of an evacuation of an exam and the full time attendance of five trained people justified the current exemption, but that it was inappropriate to extend it.

 

It is likely that the Fire Certificate will show that most non-security Fire Doors are not needed.† Reception and Student Admin will require them due to their hatches onto the street.† These two can be replaced with a different type of fire closer which are passive until the alarm goes off.

The committee discussed the next Fire Strike and there have been instructions sent round to let everyone know to shut doors and windows.† PAN will go round the Second floor before he leaves during this time checking doors and windows.

 

PB reported that we had had a couple of fire alarms where defensor were on site but security didnít turn up.† They were 50% under staffed at the time.†

 

It was also reported that after a fire alarm incident the panel reset itself.† Dust had set the alarm off but once the dust had settled again the alarm cleared itself.† Defensor were called in and ran through the system but were unsure why this had happened.

 

There was an evacuation during the time when our FSM wasnít on the scene.† People who were involved muddled through but requested that we have a check list for procedures during the event and for clearing up procedures.† (Afternote: Done)

Action: PAN

 

New Fire Wardens from Intel and CEC will all be attending Fire Warden Courses on the 4th December.

 

We had Green Break Glasses fitted throughout the building, but we had not been able to test them as they are only needed when the controller fails.† One of the controllers for the machine room failed such that it was not possible to open the door using a COTAG card or the green button.

 

The department now have a certificate for the 2nd floor which is up to fire standard.† There was some confusion on whether there are fire extinguishers up there.† PAN will go up and look round for extinguishers and signs and if they are needed contact Darren (University Fire Office) who will install them.† (Afternote Ė Done).

 

5.2 (7.2)†††† Inspection of Water

AB reported that he had had an email from Martin Cash, EMBS who said the water board work hasnít been carried out.† Between AB, Martin Cash and the Water Board they need to decide a good time for this work to be carried out.† There is also a double lock valve which needs putting on the first floor near the Intel block.

Action AB

 

5.3(5.3)††††† Rodents in the Building

††††††††††††††††† A mains cable which had been gnawed by a rat was found in FC03.† AB said that we are due for a visit from pest control and when they come in PAN would have a walk round the building with them.

 

 

5.4 (5.4)†††† Temperature/Fire Doors in Lecture Theatres

††††††††††††††††† MK reported that Lecture Theatre 2ís temperature is still low.† RMJM are going to convert the door seals for regular use, but in the mean time AB will see if the temporary fix can be improved.† This is still ongoing.†††††††††††††††††††† †††††††

Action AB

5.5 (6.3)†††† Air Quality

The printer Ash was moved from the alcove corridor.† This will hopefully rectify the dubious air quality around that area.† It has been put in the reprographics room in GC18.

Action AB

5.6 (6.5)†††† Electrical Hazard

††††††††††††††††† There was a report of an electrical hazard in FW25.† AB said a member of staff was in FW25 checking for circuit breakers and opened the door to find an earth lead was hanging there.† AB is still to find out if this has been rectified.

Action AB

5.7(7.1)††††† Chilled Drinking Water

††††††††††††††††† AB consulted the Water board and there is room for a cold water machine in the main part of the street which will be mains controlled.† This will be near the canteen area.

Action: AB

6††††††††††††††† Any Other Business

††††††††††††††††† None

 

7.†††††††††††††† Correspondence

7.1†††††††††††† Intel First Aider

PB reported that Angela Leeke from Intel is now a qualified First Aider.† The Departmental Secretary has arranged that University First Aiders are insured for treating members of the embedded Intel lab.† It is hoped that a reciprocal arrangement will be setup.

 

7.2†††††††††††† User with Vertigo

A user reported that up on the second floor of the street they were walking to the student area and felt they had vertigo.† We had previously agreed to get Kickboards, and the HoD has decided to get additional wooden panels for the railings.

 

7.3†††††††††††† Second Floor Fit-Out

The second floor electrical work has now been completed.† PAN will now contact the second floor occupants to sort out some fire wardens for that level and PB will be contacting them to find out who are first aiders.

Action PB/PAN

 

7.4†††††††††††† A Frame Ladder

There has been some concern about a risk assessment which should have been carried out for the A Frame Ladder.† KE contacted EMBS who said they never completed one.† KE then contact the Safety Office asking if this is normal and what should we do about the situation.† Will Hudson (Safety Office) is due to meet PB early next week to discuss this.† (Afternote Ė Done)

8.†††††††††††††† Date for future Meetings

Meeting will take place at 14:15 in GC22 on the third Wednesday of every month unless stated otherwise:-

 

18th December 2002, 22nd January, 19th February, 19th March, 16th April, 21st May, 18th June, 16th July 20th August, 17th September, 15th October, 19th November, 17th December

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PB/KE 3rd December 2002